Best 'bang for buck' eyepieces?

As the title really. I have an f5 8" newt and a f11.8 5" Mak and am looking for a couple of ep's to complete my set.

I have a 2 and 3x barlow along with a 26 and 40mm Plossl. The smaller focal length ep's are the standard ones that came with the scopes (10mm Super) and am looking to fill the gaps at the higher mag end of the scale and also replace the 'Super 10'.

Reading the eyepiece sticky thread, I think a 9mm and 14mm decent quality ep will make the set.

Question is, which ones??? I would say my budget is around £50 each new but could push it a bit more for the right ep.

Many thanks.

For a bit under £50 you can get used Baader Genuine Orthoscopics. While they have short eye relief in the shorter focal lengths and their field of view is narrow compared to BST Explorers, optically they compare very well if not identically with the very best eyepieces around - eyepieces that cost £hundreds apiece.

Meade 5000 series-the 5.5, 9 and 14mm are coming in at under £50 each right now as they're being superceded by the new range of Meade 5000 HD-60's. or perhaps put it all to the 12mm TV rad as recomended by Brantuk above. I have a 12mm rad and it is supurb. I also have a couple of Meade 5000 EP's and they're very good too. they have a 60 degree FOV and sharp optics

Vixen NPL's. £30 a pop and you get nice sharp,contrasty views. I am far from an expert but i love them. They work for me.

There really is no right or wrong with EP's (although there can be more wrongs then rights). They are a very personal choice. The EP's that keep getting mentioned over and over again are the ones to be looking at.

BST,TV(expensive),NPL,Meade etc.

Thanks for the replies. Lots of things to thing about there.

I had a look around for Meade 5000 eps but couldn't find one for around £50 - can anyone post a link please? I have a couple of series 4000 eps and quite like them.

It looks like those or the BSTs are going to be some nice post-Christmas prezzies to me :D

Archived