NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Noise reduction

Helen

Do you really need it Helen?

In PS I have Noise Ninja, in Nebulosity2 the GreyCstoration works well, and in Pixinsight you have ACDNR which is highly configurable (and GreyC), but with any of them you need to go easy.

The inbuilt NR routines in PS are pretty good, and there isn't much you cant do using careful layer masking.

Ideally you want to be able to apply the NR separately on the colour channels and the lightness/luminance.

What software are you using now?

Thanks guys. The reason for asking is that I was at a workshop with Nik Szymanek last week and he used Neatimage with photoshop. The results looked impressive. The free version only works on small images and at 8 bit, so I thought I'd look at alternatives before buying anything...

To date I've been using CS2, with Noels actions. I've got PI, but haven't really given it the time it takes to learn to use it. And I've got Nebulosity too, as it worked best for controlling my QHY8 before I bought Maxim.. Right, sounds like a good use for next week is learning to use the tools I already possess!!!

Helen

• 2 weeks later...
I've got PI, but haven't really given it the time it takes to learn to use it.

Helen

Assuming you splashed out on the proper version I would say get to learn it properly.

ANCR is the tool you need in PI with preview.

Check Harry's video's or give me a shout and I will create a quicky one for you.

I have used NeatImage in the past - liked it, but switched to the noise reduction tools in the raw file plug-in (Nikon) for PS Elements, which gave more satisfying (better?) results. Will any of the programs suggested above be better?

Chris

have to say that if you have pixinsight then i would be using that. i got a trial yesterday and i quite like it its weak point as far as i can see is layers and layer blends, photoshop is still better for this .

I always use a noise reduced image as a lower layer and select the opacity and location of that which I'll retain by hand. Pix does have a routine which is powerful but, as yet, I don't find I can quite see what I'm doing with the mask so I prefer to import into Ps any noise reduced layer, wherever created, and get right up close zone by zone. I never try to do anything in one go but I do spend an absurd amount of time on processing!! I think 'Where and how you apply it' is far more important that what software you use to do the reducing. It's also important to zoom right in and right out to check each iteration. A little texture in an image looks best in my view.

There is really only one perfect noise reducing technique. Get more data!!!

Olly

Not tried PI noise reduction yet, but I've been using Neatimage for a long while. I try to not use any NR, but if I do, I use it in layers and only on selected areas. Easy to use.

Rob

I always use a noise reduced image as a lower layer and select the opacity and location of that which I'll retain by hand. Pix does have a routine which is powerful but, as yet, I don't find I can quite see what I'm doing with the mask so I prefer to import into Ps any noise reduced layer, wherever created, and get right up close zone by zone. I never try to do anything in one go but I do spend an absurd amount of time on processing!! I think 'Where and how you apply it' is far more important that what software you use to do the reducing. It's also important to zoom right in and right out to check each iteration. A little texture in an image looks best in my view.

There is really only one perfect noise reducing technique. Get more data!!!

Olly

Good advice here

Archived