Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

20mm widefield eyepiece - suggestions?

michaelmorris

For many years I've used a Moonfish 20mm widefield III eyepiece as my default standard eyepiece. It gives a nice wide field of view (70 deg) with no kidney beaning in a nice compact 1.25" package. Earlier this year I decided to upgrade this and bought a Baader Hyperion 21mm.

It gives very nice views, but, try as I might, I just can't get on with it. I find it too bulky and the eye relief is too long for my taste.

Can anyone suggest alternatives (with a small compact barrel diameter and relatively short eye relief)?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can stretch to it, a safe choice in the Widefield range would be a 19mm TeleVue panoptic - very nice and compact and optically beautiful.

Consider the 18mm Celestron X-Cel at a bargain £70 - very comfortable to use and optically excellent, but of course a little narrower FOV, around 60 degrees....

I have the meade 20mm swa and works beautifully in my F7 scope. Forget the meade PR - these are not long eye relief as radians or hyperions - in practice like comfortable plossl would be similar relief to the Pan. At these discounted prices of around £100 unless you have very specific needs ie fast scope, optically there is little between them, accept of course a price difference of £100!

andrew

Yes, the Meade 5000 UWAs and SWAs are all discontinued, but there should be a few around second-hand.

Oops! Before, when I mentioned the Celestron X-Cel, I meant the newer LXs. Do not underestimate them because of their price - they are very good performers indeed. I also find the FOV a little more generous than the advertised 60 degrees. Eye relief is pretty generous, but kidney beaning etc. is not an issue. If you find it too long, the twise up eye guard is very effective at cutting it down. They are also fairly compact. I found the 18mm slightly better optically than the 25mm.

Andrew

Meade's Series 5000 SWAs are okay, but not of the same standard as the UWAs are by any means. To draw on common comparisons, while the UWAs are of similar quality to the UWAN/Nirvana, the SWAs are more like Hyperions, i.e. good down to f/6, mediocre below...

Hi Michael

I wasn't sure that you would be saving much bulk by changing to the Meade 20mm SWA, but then I found this comparison:

Astronomy & Living by Hernando: Meade SWA 20mm 5K Series vs. Hyperion 21mm

Hope this helps

Adrian

Thanks, that is very useful and confirms my inclusion of the Meade 20 mm SWA on my shortlist. Has anyone any other recommendations?

Archived