You can't always get what you want,

But if you try sometimes,

You just might find,

You do on the 'bay.....

I have just taken a punt on a scope on T'Ebay:

telescope Orion | eBay

I am a massive fan of OOUK scopes and as everyone else seems to be buying 'classics' I wanted one of my own. I just cannot get on with the small wide field frac I bought a little while back and I much prefer the viewing position, orientation and CA free views that newts, specifically alt-az newts, give. I also wanted a small fast newt that I can make a mini truss for so I can remove the optics and put them in for holidays etc.

I have not seen the scope but it feels like another Ebay bargain.

In reality, the pier, mount and rings are probably worth more than I paid, and it has a decent looking dob base too so I cannot really go wrong. The postage was a little expensive but I pitched my maximum bid to take this into account and for £112 I am not complaining.

It looks like an f6 (900mm FL) but not sure. Anyone know what the SX150s were?

Looking forward to getting it and will report back when I get first light.

I had a look through one of those at SGL7 Shane. It belonged to Russ. I think he has sold it on now but it provided some nice views as I recall. It's a very light OTA - Russ had it on the equivalent of an AZ-4 I recall.

I think it's one of OO's very early models - late 80s / early 90s perhaps. I have one of their old brochures somewhere with that one in it. I think it could be an F/6 - that was a popular focal ratio back then.

wow amazing John - what did you do with the time machine you used? :icon_salut: SGL7 indeed :)

The guy selling this is in Reading so maybe it's even the same one, unlikely though. The light OTA is a real attraction for me, especially as it will be partly a travel scope and I want to keep weight down as much as I can. Maybe not even need to make a mini truss after all.

F6 or F5 would be fine with me. I expect that it might benefit in due course from a recoat/Hilux but I'll see how it goes. Hopefully there will be some indication of figure quality on the mirror edge but it should be pretty good I think.

wow amazing John - what did you do with the time machine you used? :icon_salut: SGL7 indeed :)

I've just sold it on UK Astro Buy & Sell Shane - SGL8 was brilliant by the way - really enjoyed the views through your 25" dob (that you are going to get) :)

well, it's here.

the packaging was poor quality with two cardboard boxes taped together and a minimum of packaing to prevent movement. BUT thanks to TNT looking after it, everything arrived as well as can be expected.

there's a few dings to the tube which may well have been there all along but that's not an issue as this will be a travel scope anyway and I may even make a mini truss for it.

despite the sticker on the primary confirming this was made in 1992 (it's nearly a twenty year old scope!), the mirrors are generally in very good condition and certainly serviceable for now. they collimated easily enough. I note that the primary is secured with the usual (at the time I think) three blobs of silicone and is a f6 model so fl = 900mm.

the focuser is a basic but well working 1.25" R&P, much akin to the synta ones. the advert said scope came with a 9mm eyepiece but it is actually a gold coloured 18mm Meade WA plossl type with no undercut made in China. The coatings seem pretty good and it's in decent condition. Not a focal length I have and I can possibly use it for the astro club I have set up at school.

the finder is a right angle, upright image but left right inverted affair with solid rings etc. seems in good condition. I may sell this in due course as I think I'll prefer the RACI versions (of which I have two) in conjunction with a Telrad.

the mount is somewhat unusual as it has a really good and solid pedestal (4" diameter) that has been adapted with small LEDs at the ends of the feet. battery operated and seems a decent job - they are green and I may eventually change to red. this is a really solid platform.

the mount itself is equatorial but has no slow motion controls. instead it has push fit steel with bushes and is adjustable with a small grub screw to increase tension. surprisingly this works really well as an EQ mount.

I may though (reversibly) modify to an ALTAZ mode but will need to make an adapter (or get someone to) in order to enable this. assuming I can do so, my GIRO mount may be on the chopping block. this mount will make a really sturdy ALTAZ and everything matches and fits of course.

the dob mount is unfortunately made of MDF and I'll not be using it. I may possibly sell this too but after finishing it off - it has no groundboard and I may paint it black too.

the main reason I bought this scope if for wider views and as a smaller grab and go scope/travel scope. with my existing 32mm plossl, this will give me a 1.7 degree field which is more than large enough to fit in all but the very largest objects.

I'll upload some pics when possible later on.

I'll start a DIY thread too for the mods planned - I cannot help myself.

here's a pic of the scope in the garden with the EQ mount set up. will try and figure a way to convert to altaz in due course. a few more dings than I'd hoped for but is it worth £112? you bet. more pics on the continuing mods thread as above.

post-17776-133877708627_thumb.jpg

Hi Shane. Reminds me of my Orion SX250 which I bought back in 1995. Same sort of paint job, finder etc. Didnt use as much as I shud have. Was a bit a a beast and I think this was the main cause of it being covered in cobwebs.

Good luck with the upgrades. Hope to get a look thru it at some stage :):):(

Regards John

Archived