my BIG dob is on its wayyy :)

just orded my new scope now and its on its way !!!!!!!! :):hello2::(

must admit it aint the 10" as planned tho...as im a big lad (and struggling finding a 10" in stock anywhere) i decided to go with the SW 12" flextube DOB without auto....it shud arive in three days time so am dead chuffed :D

i was not botherd aboutz the auto or goto systems so the basic 300p flextube will do :bs:

also,

just upgraded my binos to a 10x50 bresser yesterday. the second i got home the moon and jups was out in all there glory....the views i got of jups was amazing.. even next to the moon i could see many moons easily and for £42 from newton ellis i dont think ive gone wrong :(

i cud have set them up using tripod for better views but these hard cold winds won so another time when storms has past will give em a proper testing :)

gotz me a cheshire coll too from newton so just waiting for my new scope too arrive and its all go go go !! :)

karly :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with money ive saved in buying the basic model i can buy good EP's when im more experience wit it later on :(

i was nearly tempted to get the explorer 190MN DS-pro ( makustov newt) but i got cold feet being a newbie so dob was best bet as advised....

mabey next year i will upgrade to a better scope....lol even tho i work out regular(keepfit) a 400mm would need 2 to carry i would think but im learning that ap does win in the end :D....there was a demon:D in me that wanted a 16" but i would have to have a pre-built hut for it as moving it would prove impossible perhaps....my newbie dreaming is getting to me so 12" will do :)

my expectations are kept low due to light pollution...i dont live direct in the city but more on the outskirts of it.....my south gives me hale,widnes runcorn in the far distance....not sure what that would mean on the "pollution" scale as i do get some dark skies when the pressure is right around winter....summer i would struggle with i think...with most of my stargazing done thru a old pair of binos im sure i will see some good views with this 12"dob :)

12" you lucky thing, congrats on the purchase

I was chatting to a friend last night who's none plussed about stargazing, I was wittering on about how I'm going out to view some transits on jupiter and they chipped in that they've seen Jupiter before through a scope. After doing a little digging it turns out they were gifted a 12" Skywatcher Dob after a family member passed away...not only that but it's GoTo!! They've taken it out once or twice, can't get the motor driven alignment working (Ie couldn't figure it out) and have slung it in the loft ever since!! I couldn't believe it!!! I tried to gee them up into getting it out and we'll see if we can sort it, but they looked as disinterested with it as you can be....they say you can lead a horse to water :-)

shame about that....i been stargazing for years....with binos :D...nearly every night i sit out on my patio relaxing and when the stars are out im stargazing....how i passed the years without buying a good telescope is beyond me....ive missed so much....nows the time to catch up tho :(

and thanx all ...it really is all my christmases come at once !!!! :) karly :)

I've got the 200p flex only used it twice so far. It's very easy to setup and use, ironically I got the synscan goto version and that's the bit I've found hardest to use.

ye thats why i opted out of the goto system....also it may take the fun outa the hunt...i ditched the auto system too....i already know my way around the stars and some nebs, gals usink binos only....im now looking into getting a better finderscope for it....that wud be my first upgrade i think next week.....ive read many times a good finder scope can make a BIG diffrence :)

i had £1500 for a scope and a reserve of £500 for upgrades ( and extra EP's) for it.....because ive spent only £800 on the basic version i have a nice kitty to beef it up witth lots to spare perhaps....i dont wanna skimp out on this tho ...i want the best i can get for it regarding EP's etc ....if there are any other great upgrades that can be made that dont kill my £1100 budget then feel free to add them ...your imput would be valuable right now so i can study them in detail more :(

karly :)

All I got to go with it was a powertank (which you won't need) and a moon filter which I highly recommend, the fullish moon last night was extremely bright.

Based on the advice of the more experienced guys on here I haven't got any other eye pieces yet. Though like you I spent a lot less on the scope than I budgeted for so will be doing the same regards EP's.

Recommend that you wait and have used it a few times though as once you've used it a few times you'll have a better idea of what you enjoy looking at.

yes thas my plan EP's can wait till im ready...a moon filter i must look for as you say....

sofar ive got: cheshire coll...10x50 bino's...a light cover...collins mini star book...red totch...

things i need so far are: better finderscope....moon filter...better flask :)

so far so good :(

Hi Karly

Great big lump of a scope you've got coming there. Gonna keep you amused for years.:(

Please don't buy a Moon filter until YOU have decided its too bright without one.

I know of a few people that have bought them on recommendation only to never use em.

I never use a Moon filter in either of my Dobs.

In fact some maintain they adversely effect your observation by making contrast worse.

I'm not sure about that, as I don't have one to compare the views.

As has been said, take your time with eyepiece purchases. Good uns in large Dobs are worth their weight in gold.:)

New flask....good call.:)

Regards Steve

Ps. Do try and get that scope to a dark sky as often as you possibly can as big apertures and dark skies= killer experience.

Lovely lovely scope, I don't think you'll need to upgrade to anything better, unless you move to the dark side (imaging that is :) )

Re moon filter, I use my nebula filter to cut down the glow...I've contemplated wearing sunnies....it's darn bright in my 250 but it's mainly only a problem when close to full

thanx :) .....two dys and counting ohhhhh cant wait :D......................the wifey told me "it can be used as my christmas prezzie"............"and so can your new single bed i will get ye" was my reply !!! :(:D:D .... socks will do very nice thankie very much. :)

hi todd and thx....just peeked at ye pics....amazing pics u have there :)

the close moon shot is awesome....is that a view i could see with a 12" dob ?

this one >>>>>http://s1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa345/pah43/?action=view&current=Image32fixed.jpg&liker=todd8137&sortby=desc

also would i see jups like this one ? >>>>>http://s473.photobucket.com/albums/rr93/todd8137/jupiter%2027th%20nov%202011/?action=view&current=c585ca5f.jpg&newest=1

Archived