Any advice on new scope

Dave Collins

Hi there all. Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Orion Skyquest XT8 dobsonian? I currently have a Meade DS2080 GOTO refractor and I'm looking for more detail on the planets and DSO's. Also looking at a Celestron Nexstar SE 6. I know the Dob is not very portable so would only be using it in the back garden. Live on the outskirts of town so not too much light pollution. Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated. Open to any suggestions on a better scope? :-)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers Damien, I havent used a forum website before so still finding my way around it. Took me a while just to find the button to place my first post. Hopefully I'll have it all sussed soon. I had a look at the Orion XT8. Looks like I should get a good view through it but I'm not sure if the wife would be happy with me keeping it in the front room :-)

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum !

It's well worth posting some Q's in the beginners forum to help you make a selection. The Orion XT8's are nice scopes but are pretty much the same as the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P dobsonians (optically exactly the same) which cost a bit less.

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum !

It's well worth posting some Q's in the beginners forum to help you make a selection. The Orion XT8's are nice scopes but are pretty much the same as the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P dobsonians (optically exactly the same) which cost a bit less.[/Thanks John I'll do some posting there to try and track down a good upgrade:)]

Hi thanks for the welcome. I noticed you have a Skywatcher 200p. What's it like for planet/dso views? I'm still undecided whether to go for a dob or a scope with tripod. I noticed the 200p won a good award in Sky at Night so would be interested in your opinion of it. Thanks Dave

Archived