Galaxies, like buses.

Hello SGL, I have loved everything space all my life, but in the 18 months I have been actively into astronomy believe it or not, I have never seen a galaxy. I brought my Revelation 15x70's into work tonight & thought I would have a look around whilst on my break as the sky is lovely and clear, I could not believe it, I found M31, M81 & M82 all in about half an hour observing, Andromeda looked great like a faint fuzzy grey smoke patch about the size of my thumb nail at arms length, probably only the central regions. M81 & M82 even smaller. Wow this has made my day. Sorry I know this will not sound so impressive to most people, but I am over the moon (no pun intended) I just had to share it. Wish I had my scope with me. Happy gazing all. :)

Congratulations !

The distance these objects are at makes viewing them, even as faint patches, even more exciting I think.

I reckon the view of M31 with 70mm binoculars is better than viewing it with a scope in some ways :)

Ya it's great to look at M31 however I still would like to see it under dark skies like many others do.

I'd like to get out more often and observe, but the light pollution can be a killer. So I'm still excited to see some DSOs like M31 under good conditions!

Excellent stuff...not picked up M81/M82 with my scope just yet...but looking forward to "bagging" them too

I'm a rank beginner myself...but everything i've read so far seems to say you should be able to pick up a goodly percentage of the messier objects with your 70mm bins...especially if you can find some dark skies...

so good luck hunting!

Wow great response. Ha London in rush hour (Virgo) that will be a good night. I am going to try again tonight as, dare I say it the skies here are lovely and clear again. Woops I have gone and said it now. I will see if I can make out any of M32 also. Its amazing the difference a semi dark site makes to viewing. I thought my back garden was fairly dark, but where I work has almost zero street lights, or much local light pollution. Roll on 11 o'clock ish. Cant wait. Happy gazing all.

Archived