Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telerad problem?

This will souns a daft question. Recently aquired a telerad fot my 200P Dob. Only tried to use it on two occasions, but I find I only see the concentric rings - no objects. Am I doing something wrong as its a very simple piece of equipment!

Many thanks!

As mentioned above you need to keep the brightness of the rings turned down to a point where you can just see them. Also as with any non-magnifying finder if you're observing from very light polluted skys you may be only able to see a few bright objects through it.

A 9x50 finder shows a lot more objects in such conditions, although with a limited field of view compared to the Telrad. I use both types of finder on my dob. The Telrad to find the brighter objects to get me in the area and then the right angle 9x50 finder to zero in on an object.

John

Just to add from my own Telrad experiance - I have a lot of dew where I live so my Telrad is useless without the dew heater attached. But with it...it is a great piece of kit!

Michael

There's a thread on here where someone made a dew shield for for a telrad with an off cut of camping mat, had a quick look but couldn't find a link.

As has been said, keep the brightness turned down so you can just see the 3 rings projected against the sky. That's one of the advantages of the Telrad - it's brightness is adjustable right down. I find the multi-reticule finders a bit too bright, even on their lowest setting.

You can't actually see deep sky objects and the like through the Telrad of course, even with the brightness turned right down. It's a zero magnification device to help you aim your scope at the right part of the sky.

Archived