Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SCT and Focal reducer

Donkeiller

the f 6.3 reducers work very well also for visual, the f 3.3 for smaller ccd cameras,

i have the Antares f6.3 reducer, made in Canada, cheaper than the Meade or Celestron models but just as good from reviews i`ve read.

i wouldn`t sell it.

very easy to use, just take off the visual back and screw the reducer on.

the f 6.3 reducers work very well also for visual, the f 3.3 for smaller ccd cameras,

i have the Antares f6.3 reducer, made in Canada, cheaper than the Meade or Celestron models but just as good from reviews i`ve read.

i wouldn`t sell it.

very easy to use, just take off the visual back and screw the reducer on.

Thanks for this- I take it you then just insert your diagonal in the same way as you do normally?

Forgive me this "visual back" thing is still bugging me:icon_scratch:

Is it, or is it not what normally accepts the diagonal?

it is indeed, lots of names in this hobby for small unasumming items L.O.L.

it screws off the rear of the scope, focal reducer then screws on the visual back screws back onto the reducer, then you can either use a diagonal or just a webcam or camera stright into the visual back as normal.

If it's for visual use, then why would you want to use a focal reducer?

If you use a 15mm eyepiece and a 0.5x reducer for example, this is precisely the same as using a 30mm eyepiece.

Focal reducers come into their own for imaging, but are completely unnecesary for visual astronomy.

If you try to use a long FL eyepice with a focal reducer, you won't widen the useable FOV, you'll just have a smaller image surrounded by lots of vignetting.

Save yourself some money and just get some longer FL eyepieces. :icon_confused:

Rob

I still have my 0.63x Celestron reducer, but it has not been used in a month of Mondays. I used it when I only had 1.25" EPs, but since I replaced the 1.25" visual back with a 2", and inserted my first 2" EP (the Paragon 40mm), I have not used it visually at all. You can do the same with a C6. For travel use, when you do not want to carry heavy 2" EPs the focal reducer may be handy. I might one day start using it for imaging again.

When I got my C9.25 I already owned a 42mm LVW so a focal reducer for visual was never needed (or wanted). I already get the maximum FOV from the C9.25, a focal reducer would mean using shorter focal length 1.25" eyepieces. A 42mm LVW (and 2" diagonal) is quite expensive though and a focal reducer could be a cheaper option.

For viewing faint objects though, all that extra glass is not a good idea.

it is indeed, lots of names in this hobby for small unasumming items L.O.L.

it screws off the rear of the scope, focal reducer then screws on the visual back screws back onto the reducer, then you can either use a diagonal or just a webcam or camera stright into the visual back as normal.

Not hi-jacking the thread sorry, but thank you for solving that mystery for me.

Archived