Very quick M3 image

14th May

3 subs at 30 seconds before the clouds turned the sky off.

ED80, Atik 16HR unguided.

No filters - it's been so long that I forgot to even use a CLS.

image.jpg

I decided to not guide as I intended to pick the nicer ones out of the cloud ruined ones, but the cloud turned solid after only three exposures, so I had to make do with those.

For those who don't know, the autoguide system goes haywire when the star that it is guiding on gets hidden by cloud, so it waves the mount about randomly because it can't decide what to do. If the clouds clear later, the chances of the 'scope being pointed at the intended target are close to zero, so when there are bits of cloud about don't autoguide.

Captain Chaos

Is that another cluster to the far right KK?

Not unless I just discovered a new one. :)

I think its just HIP66725 off the top of my head. Its a multiple, but not as multiple as the image shows, that will be down to the small aperture making stuff look funny.

Captain Chaos (soon to be Kaptain Klevtsov!)

Thanks for the nice comments guys, can't wait to get some clear skies to do it properly. :)

Any chance you could do a little tutorial on what to do with the subs to create an image like that ie stacking & processing?

Darren

MartinB has already done so, at the top of the imaging section.

Captain Chaos

I wish that I could see it from here. :D The cameras are not just for fun, they are required when you live next to Leeds, Bradford and Huddersfield, because the sky is so bright I need to process the light pollution out before there's anything to look at.

You forgot to sweep up all your clouds though mate, we are clogged up totally with them here tonight. :)

Captain Chaos

Very nice KK, you've been giving Miss Lucy a bit of a work out again I reckon. Worked very well, the glob looks sweet. There are a couple of stars with a black ring around them on my monitor which looks like a deconvolution artefact.

It would be very nice to have a bash at it and get enough frames so that heavy duty processing isn't required. These clouds have got to be getting bored hanging about above my shed, perhaps they'll bog off soon.

Quote from my gorgeous chick:-

" WHO IS THIS LUCY RICHARDSON THEN?" The shouting bit is accurate.

Captain Chaos

Archived