Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade LX200 14" info & user reviews

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Meade-LX200-14-Telescope-UHTC-and-GPS_W0QQitemZ260118550879QQihZ016QQcategoryZ3636QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone got one of these scopes? the starting price seems very low. I currently use an ETX-70 as i wanted to keep expendature low until i knew if astronomy was the thing for me, well it has got me hooked so i am looking to upgrade. Is this the scope for me? is it ideal for planetary viewing or more suited to deep sky?

Thanks

I would be very wary of that item as the seller has zero feedback and is a new ebay member. It could very likely be a scam. There have been a spate of these things recently. As for the 'scope it's a very nice one, but I would attempt to contact the seller to confirm that he actually has the 'scope (ask for more photos) and if you can view the item before bidding. If it is a scam he will either ignore you, or make some excuse as to why you can't view the item.

Caveat emptor!

These are huge scopes and you really need an observatory or shed with removable roof - they are not portable.

Needless to say it would represent a huge step up from your current scope. This would be really jumping into the hobby in a big way.

If you are able to consider an investment on this scale (if it's genuine it will go for a lot more than the starting price - they cost about £4000 new I think) you have many, many options which IMHO you should consider carefully. You could also get some serious equipment at a much lower cost than that - £500 or so would kit you out with a scope that was a major upgade from your current one eg: an 8 inch newtonian on an HEQ5 equatorial mount.

Also, personally I would never buy anything like this from a seller with a zero rating :shock:

John

PS: Also. as the other guys have said, it's almost certainly a scam

I don't have one, and I strongly suspect that the "seller" doesn't either. Two at the same time, well that would be just greedy, and to only do a three day listing wouldn't attract as many bidders as possible. I do hope its not a scam, but I wouldn't bid as it is VERY suspicious.

Captain Chaos

Have you noticed that they always "protect" the bidders ID by making them anonymous (bidder 1, bidder 2 and so on). A cynical mind might think that that's done to stop ebay sheriffs (i.e. concerned enthusiasts, such as folk on here) warning the bidders off. Just a thought.

Martin

I emailed the seller asking if I could come and have a look at the scope :) his reply was:

Hello,

I think that we can arrange the deal now for GBP 1400 (free delivery) and we will make this transaction through new eBay Purchase Program.

If you agree to start the transaction, you must send me your full name and address for the eBay invoice.

After I have your details, I forward them to eBay and they will contact you with an invoice and next steps to complete the transaction.

You will have 7 days return policy, if you are not satisfied with the item received eBay will give you all the money back.

Thank you,

Frank

There was a recent auction for a Celestron Nexstar 11 GPS. I mailed the seller and got a similar reply:

Hello ,

> Thank you for the e-mail .

> You don`t have to bid and win the auction so you can buy it. If you`re really interested i reserve the right to end the auction early and make the transaction with you.

> The price i am looking for is £900.00 with shipping and handling included. If this is a reasonable price please let me know and i can make the transaction with you through eBay and "i SOLD It".Everything will go smooth and safe for both of us .

> You will also have a 10 days return policy. If you have other questions please let me know.

> I will also want you to reply either way so i will know what to do .

> Regards,

> Mark

He avoided answering questions about the scope, and refused a pickup. I think the auction ended at around £1900, but then got pulled soon after.

These end in around 4 hours time - bidding nearly at 2 grand for one of them !.

Who in their right mind would actually consider paying 2 grand for a scope with a stock photo, a seller with zero rating and specs obviously lifted from elsewhere :)

John

Archived