Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First attempt at Horse Head nebula

Quatermass

I have been itching to have a try at capturing the Horse Head and last night the clouds finally cleared away and gave me nice clear skies. Its so exciting doing something for the first time :rolleyes: and I was really pleased with the results. This was 49 main shots with exsposures of 50 seconds, 60 seconds and 180 seconds at and ISO of 800 with the canon 350d unmodded.

I took 26 darks and 10 flats, it was getting late, then this afternoon stacked in deep sky stacker and finished in photoshop cs5 with levels, curves, colour ajustments and High pass filters.

I am a happy bunny :icon_confused:

Horse%252520head%252520cropped.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks brantuk been itching to have a try at this one for ages. There is a great article in Decembers issue of the sky at night mag on imaging the horse head as well if anyone else is going to have a go. Found it very helpful to get it all in the frame and line it up the right way. If this carry s on I can see myself having to get an observatory set up next year pretty cold out there at 2am in the morning but at least I had my timer so I could come in for a cup of hot chocolate and warm up.

Very nice indeed, and gives us all with similar equipment something to aim for - Whilst I really like the processed result, the raw stacked image has a certain quality about it, almost sepia, like an old photograph taken decades ago

Well done quatermass, this must be your best one yet!? I can't wait to have ago at the targets in orion, it just needs to get up a little further a little earlier, to many houses just south east of me.

stan :icon_confused:

Thanks chaps I like the unedited one too its old fashioned looking. I have a shed i could alter but the trouble is too many trees around me so I having a portable set up helps a lot despite being a bit chilly. Got to say since getting the canon 350D the images are much better then my old lumix G1. I hated the canon when I first got it but that was me having to get used to a new camera, now I love it. ;-)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

One thing that makes a big difference is running an extension lead out to my telescope and then using a multi adapter to run the RA motor drive. I find the battery pack just too iffy and since using the adapter get much better tracking with this set up managed 3minutes on one shot without any trailing. But the time is coming to get my auto guider sorted out.

Thanks Telrad it great being able to share all our efforts on this forum and I love seeing peoples first shots of stuff. I ignored the horse head last year as the street lights were i lived were too much but now i live with a good dark sky area behind my home.

Archived