NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Down the slippery slope part 2!

JKB

So I have gone from visual to AP! Spent lots of money! Upgraded mount! Built a pier! now what?

Yes an Observatory :) I suppose this is the next Slippery slope after AP?

So over the next few weeks I shall be sharing what I have done/doing. For those who follow Gina's Obsy build it aint gonna be anything like it!

I plan to buy an 8x6 foot shed. Covert to Roll of roof and enjoy it. This thread will hopefully help/show people what can be done on a tight budget with a small space.

Will post some design ideas later (when I've worked out Google Sketchup!)

So wish me luck

Cheers

Jamie

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK Quick hack with Sketchup. Decided on a 10x6 shed as only a few quid more than 8x6!

I built the pier months ago before considering an obsy and with the 150p on top it just misses the ridge! Attached a couple of pics of the idea. Left is North. Fancy the roof sliding back to reveal a 6x6 obsy area but maintaining a closed area for warm/dry/safe of 6x4

Tell me your thoughts please and any ideas.

Cheers

Jamie

post-24182-133877696079_thumb.jpg

post-24182-133877696085_thumb.jpg

post-24182-133877696092_thumb.jpg

IMO 6' x 6' will be tight, even for a 150p, and will restrict any upgrade you may opt for in the future. My obs internal dimensions are 7' 9" x 8' and on occasion have had to squeeze past the weights or tube of my 200P.

Whilst I have the luxury of a warm room / mission control / office of similar size, you could reduce the size of you warm room slightly to try and accommodate a larger scope room. You have to bear in mind that you need to get this right now, as generally building such an observatory is normally a one off, and you need to give yourself as much room for expansion as possible

Also 4' 7" might restrict your head room. You could opt for higher walls, with a drop down section like I and many (Gina for example) have done. Or, (again like Gina) have a small amount of wall that also rolls off to give you a low wall for observing

Thanks for the comments. To be honest though I can't see my scopes getting bigger in the future. Although poss the Quattro 8" but more than likely go down to a WO Meg 72 or 120.

Will recheck sizes though today just in case.

Cheers

Jamie

Forget the warm room and get a network cable,your house is nice and warm.

Mike.

But then you can't see if any cables etc are getting tangled, and have no means of using USB focuser etc.

Result is an angry wife who is fed up of getting cold because you are constantly nipping out to re-set things and the house is getting cold ! :icon_confused:

I suppose you could have a webcam or two to watch over things but there's nothing like being on the spot. Also, it's a good idea to have computer(s) kept frost free and when running you don't really want their warm air currents round the scope to upset the seeing.

• 2 weeks later...

OK Update. Heard today that the Obsey (Shed) will be delivered this Thursday! So I know what Ill be doing this weekend :)

Out of interest Shed was purchased from Sheds, Garden Sheds, Log Cabins, Playhouses, Summerhouses, Wooden Sheds & More | Garden Buildings Direct who quoted a 10 day lead so I'm happy (free delivery too)

Will update as the weekend approaches

Cheers

Jamie

Right the Shedservatory arrived yesterday. Too dark by the time I got home but all looks good so far.

Did a trial 'bit' fit in the garage and all seems ok. Now to work out the reinforcement needed and the rolling roof idea.

Cheers

Jamie

This is a slippery slope, just ordered my shed from your site link!! Wasn't supposed to do this till after Xmas, in trouble with SWMBO now!

Oops! Sorry you can blame me! :)

Not much progress on mine due to the xmas run-up and the lousy weather. Have planned the reinforcement etc and the floor is down around the pier.

Just gotta wait for the clear weather to continue.

Cheers

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Right sorry for delay but have been without the Internet for 2 weeks!!

Anyway build update:

Floor down (supplied with shed then 22mm Caberboard floor on top)

Walls up and bracing fitted around top and important areas.

North facing 'Drop Gable' fitted.

New roof trusses and runners made up ready for the 100mm fixed rubber castors.

These will be fitted lower down either side facing up with the roof rails uniting over them.

Pics below are not as of today as it got dark. Will take pics again tomorrow. Currently shed is roofed and ready to drop on to castors. Door to be made and insides fitted out.

Cheers

Jamie

Pic 1 Floor and gable

Pic 2 Stud up for warm room

Pic 3 Folding Gable

Pic 4 All walls up

Pic 5 Roof structure

post-24182-133877708495_thumb.jpg

post-24182-133877708504_thumb.jpg

post-24182-133877708518_thumb.jpg

post-24182-133877708526_thumb.jpg

post-24182-133877708534_thumb.jpg