Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron C6 XLT?

I'm not sure whether to upgrade to a 8,10 or 12" Dob, the C8N which is a Newtonian, or this nice looking Celestron 6" XLT http://www.firstlightoptics.co.uk/products.php?cat=40.

I would like to be able to use 2" EPs, which the XLT cant, but I'd like to be able to take astrophotos, which the XLT and C8N should, I believe(?) be decent at. ALSO, just noticed the Nexstar 6SE. Would that compare well with these?

I also love the GoTo on Celestron scopes.

Anyone got any thoughts on these choices? I know the Dobs are cheaper, but I'm thinking the C6 XLT or C8N would last me a good long time before aperture fever hit, and, since my wife is pregnant and we're moving to a bigger house this will be my last scope purchase for a long time! :) So I need to get it right!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll get much better views from a 8" Newt than a 6" SCT but of course its a lot less portable and will be fussier over eyepeices. You can always upgrade the mount to GOTO after you have bought it.

Those are the issues really.... :)

You'll get much better views from a 8" Newt than a 6" SCT but of course its a lot less portable and will be fussier over eyepeices. You can always upgrade the mount to GOTO after you have bought it.

Those are the issues really.... :D

The 8" Newt is GoTO as well, I think so yeah, it looks a nice deal. Portability isnt a problem, it'll be used in our enclosed back garden, possibly even stored in the shed, so size isn't really too much of an issue. That said, although I'm a 30 year old, immensely strong young man, I don't want to be carting a massive piece of kit the size of a Ford Fiesta out the shed to view every night! :)

Sorry to steal the topic here, but could i swap my dob mount for a goto one? If so how much would it cost?

This is probaly worthy of a topic in it's own right. A quick answer is Yes, and £400-£800 depending which route you go.

John

When you say photographs, are we talking webcam planets/moon or are we talking Digital SLR long exposure jobbys?

If it's the latter I wouldn't recommend any of those on the list.

The dobs are a no no really for any type of imaging. Unless you want to get into tracking systems, the dobs aren't suitable. Great for visual though.

Both the 8" Newt and the 6" SCT are great for planetary imaging on that mount.

But if it's with the DSLR then I would have to say no. The focal length and FOV on the C6 will work against it. And put too much strain on the GT mount, which isn't the best long exposure mount to start with.

The Newt has other issues (Coma, focusing, size, weight) which will severly test that mount beyond it's limits.

Could I suggest you buy two scopes and buying one secondhand. Get the Celestron GT mount if it's the one you like but buy it with the C80-ED refractor. This scope is perfectly suited to imaging, takes 2" accessories, gives a good flat field over most of DSLR's imaging chip and has no focusing issues. And is an awesome visual scope to boot. You'll be amazed just how good the planets look in a 80mm refractor....stunning!

Then look for a secondhand 8" dob. They go for nothing secondhand....no one wants them. Let someone else take the huge loss from buying it new and selling it the next week because they decided they really wanted a small APO refractor. Or buy an 8" Newt tube secondhand. They sell for the price of a Big Mac, just can't give them away.

Russ

Anyone got any thoughts on these choices? I know the Dobs are cheaper, but I'm thinking the C6 XLT or C8N would last me a good long time before aperture fever hit, and, since my wife is pregnant and we're moving to a bigger house this will be my last scope purchase for a long time! :) So I need to get it right!

I understand where you coming from, but be warned, aperture fever is not easily held at bay, but the quality of todays astronomical instruments and imaging equipment, have reduced it's potency somewhat. But those large objectives are a bit like the sirens of legend. Very alluring. :D

Ron

since my wife is pregnant and we're moving to a bigger house this will be my last scope purchase for a long time! :) So I need to get it right!

I was in the exact same boat as you, I ended up with a 6SE and I love it. You wont have time for aperture fever in the first 6 months .... trust me! You'll be in bed by 9am and up at 5am every day

Might I suggest an 8" Newt. on an HEQ5 Goto mount? Superb for astrophotos, webcaming planets and visual stuff.

And instead of moving the Fiesta, any massively strong young man should be able to remove the shed roof with one hand, allowing the Fiesta to stay where it is, all aligned and stuff. As its a new house, I'm assuming new shed, get one with a roll off roof.

Captain Chaos

since my wife is pregnant and we're moving to a bigger house this will be my last scope purchase for a long time! :) So I need to get it right!

I was in the exact same boat as you, I ended up with a 6SE and I love it. You wont have time for aperture fever in the first 6 months .... trust me! You'll be in bed by 9am and up at 5am every day

My experience in this direction was a little longer ago (my kids are teenagers now) but I remember that I did find time to do some observing when the children were little but the "windows" of time were often shorter which, when coupled with the rather unpredicatable conditions in the UK, led me in the direction of scopes which with a quickish setup time.

Personally I would go for the 6SE as Gordon has - it's practically "grab and go" with the exception of a little cool down time.

IMHO a bigger, heavier scope which needs more setup time will probably not get used as much so you won't benefit from the additional aperture very often.

John

Thanks again, great advice in here.

I'm wondering if the Nexstar 6SE will be that much of an improvement over my 4" refractor though?

As for astrophotos, I'd like to take all sorts, including deep sky. The Nexstar mount can track well enough for around 30 seconds, so that would be good enough for just now.

The SCT would be slightly better on DSOs and about equal on planets (but with no false colour). Unless you really want one, I don't think the upgrade is justified performance wise. You'e swapping a 4" unobstructed scope for a 6" scope with a ~38% obstruction.

Thanks Adam, I already have a couple of Meade Barlows though. :)

Gaz, I think you're probably correct - my refractor, while cheap and cheerful is a great wee scope apart from the colour aberration. I'd really like to get something that will allow me to crank up the views on the planets in particular.

I was maybe a bit harsh on the SCT, it would be an improvement esp. on DSOs but I don't think you'll get that 'wow!' factor over the 4" refractor unless you go to a 8".

If you are getting the scope for primarily planetary use it might be worth you looking though a SCT before you buy one. Some people find the views through SCTs a little 'soft' on the planets...plenty of others don't mind you.

I've used eBay loads of times, but neither of those two scopes grab me for the price.

I thought I asked this yesterday but clearly didnt:

I don't suppose the C6 XLT would fit, and work properly, on my 102 SLT Nexstar mount? It looks in the pics like it has similar dovetail mount, but would it be way too heavy?

HI

just going toss this in the melting pot. I'll soon be selling my Meade LX10 8" SCT, with full aperature thousand oaks solar filter, ADM guide scope ring/rail set, 2" diagonal, tripod, wedge, dual axis drives and a bit more. Just upgraded to a 10" LX200.

cheers

DAve

Archived