Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron C6 XLT?

Hi Dave, please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't like Meade products at all. I had an ETX 125 which went bang and I couldn't get any help from Meade or any of their official suppliers in the UK :nono: . With Celestron I know I can trust the likes of Adam Hinds to at least try and help me out with any problems.

So I would never entertain a Meade 'scope again unfortunately. Besides, that one of yours must be WAY out of my price range! :)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SLT mount is rated at 8lbs by Celestron. The C6 OTA is about 10lbs so it would be over the load capacity of the SLT unfortuantly. The SE mount is much more stable and the solid metal tripod makes a big difference (The SLT tripod has plastic lugs which make it flex too much for my liking)

Gordon, I have been researching the 6se, as I thought it might be ideal for my next scope. Most of the reviews I've read, however, say that it is not an imagers scope but none gave any reasons why not. Have you tried any imaging with yours? Do you agree that it is not an imagers scope?

Also, check out the left edge of the sellers photo. That yellow object looks suspiciously like a sack barrow to me. :shock: Just how heavy is his scope! :)

The 6SE is NOT an imagers 'scope no. The mount isn't acurate enough for long exposure imaging even though it does have a guide port. You would need a wedge and a host of other cash draining stuff. Of course that doesn't stop me dabbling but if you want to image then get an EQ mount like the HEQ5 and an ED80. That being said, the 6SE does a passable job with a webcam.

Hi Dave, please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't like Meade products at all. I had an ETX 125 which went bang and I couldn't get any help from Meade or any of their official suppliers in the UK :nono: . With Celestron I know I can trust the likes of Adam Hinds to at least try and help me out with any problems.

So I would never entertain a Meade 'scope again unfortunately. Besides, that one of yours must be WAY out of my price range! :)

No worries, I'd probably feel the same in your situation. Mine was made before Meade discovered plastic, can't say I'm keen on the ETX myself, they seam quite a lot for a small scope and have heard of a fair few problems .

Price, haven't given it a great deal of thought as I'm still using it, probably around £600 ish. Not in a hurry as my new scope is too heavy to lug around, so I'm going to wait till I get my observatory finished.

Good luck in your quest

DAve

The 6SE is NOT an imagers 'scope no. The mount isn't acurate enough for long exposure imaging even though it does have a guide port. You would need a wedge and a host of other cash draining stuff. Of course that doesn't stop me dabbling but if you want to image then get an EQ mount like the HEQ5 and an ED80. That being said, the 6SE does a passable job with a webcam.

Now long can you get your 6SE to track for astrophotos?

It can track for as long as you like, but it's not acurate and has high periodic error. For wide field stuff it works ok though but at any magnification only short exposures of less than 30 seconds are possible. I havn't had much time to test it out thoughaly though so there may be some improvments to be made by making sure the backlash settings and others are all correct.

I don't suppose the C6 XLT would fit, and work properly, on my 102 SLT Nexstar mount? It looks in the pics like it has similar dovetail mount, but would it be way too heavy?

I think perhaps you are looking to do it the wrong way round. Your 102 SLT refractor tube would work a treat on the 6SE mount. Be a great widefield, low power compliment to the C6 XLT. And also be far more imaging friendly, chromatic abberation aside. That would be a great setup. The C6 for planets and also imaging the planets. The 102 for widefield visual and deepsky imaging with a DSLR.

I think the SE mount could cope with the 102 tube. Worth noting that Telescope Service in Germany sell the SE mount on its own as a camera platform to be used with a small richfield refractor. So it has deepsky imaging potential, just not with the C6 tube.

Russ

Thats a realy good idea Russ, I was actually looking around for a 102SLT OTA on the second hand market as they look like nice tubes at f/6 rather than f/5. Plus being plastic they are light as a feather. The C6 has a 1500mm focal length which is a pain to image with, but the 600mm of the 102 is much more friendly. I was tempted to repurchase an ST80 but the APO's are so cheap now I will probably go with one of those instead. A ZS66SD maybe

Thats a realy good idea Russ, I was actually looking around for a 102SLT OTA on the second hand market as they look like nice tubes at f/6 rather than f/5. Plus being plastic they are light as a feather. The C6 has a 1500mm focal length which is a pain to image with, but the 600mm of the 102 is much more friendly. I was tempted to repurchase an ST80 but the APO's are so cheap now I will probably go with one of those instead. A ZS66SD maybe

I'm not sure about the 102SLT OTA being as light as a feather, I'm pretty sure it's a metal tube not plastic. That said, I can lift the whole lot, tripod, OTA and all with one hand which is a lot better than the MEade ETX I had which weighed a ton! :)

Archived