Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

BGO

Charon

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally also prefer the volcano top orthos for their shape that fits nicely in the eye socket however the BGO with their flat tops rest nicely on your eyebrow. Overall I preferred the volcano tops but did recently sell a 9mm volcano top to replace it with a BGO as optically they are slightly better

Volcano tops are a "Marmite" type of thing. You either love them or hate them. :) Personally I prefer the BGO style.

John

They are a personal thing. I prefer the shape of the volcano tops (easier to get my eye close into the eye lens) but I prefer the optical performance of the BGO's / University HD's.

I have had the Circle-T 5mm ortho (hated its short eye relief) and 25mm ortho (loved it). In my C8 I first got a 10mm Plossl, which also has poor eye relief, but it was sharp. I replaced this by first a 9mm Vixen LV (225x, used a lot) and later an additional LV 7mm (288x). The latter got used less, but is excellent for those nights of superb seeing (remember those :)). I have since replaced them by Radians (8 and 10mm) which I rate slightly above the LVs (especially nearer the edge of the FOV). Really comfortable EPs to use. I have heard very good reports of the much cheaper Vixen NLVs. Same eye relief, smaller FOV, but slightly better contrast than Radians (which get very mixed report, but I like mine), according to some. My report on my Radian is here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/member-equipment-reviews/96606-radian-8mm-vs-vixen-lvs-vs-barlow-meade-uwa.html

I am a big fan of BGO's and have just rebought two I sold to fund my GiroII. I find the 9mm really hits the sweet spot for my scopes (1600mm focal length so 177x) most of the time. occasionally when the seeing is excellent, I can use the 7mm on planets (229x). For anything 6-3mm I have a ready made alternative in the Nagler zoom which is also excellent and my preference for such short focal lengths on my driven mount. I also prefer the BGO style as I find it easier to retain eye position than with the VTs.

Either way, I prefer Orthos vs plossls for anything less than 15mm.

Another EP to consider is the Televue Radian, no problem with eye relief with these (is there)?

I really like my 6mm Radian. I also had the 14mm for a short time but sold it when i snapped up a used 13mm Nagler. I did get the chance to compare the two before selling the Radian and at least to my eyes the Radian was every bit as sharp. They are probably the most comfortable eyepiece i have used to date. 20mm of eye relief and the eyeguard can be adjusted to suit the individual. Very nice eyepiece.

I have had the Circle-T 5mm ortho (hated its short eye relief) and 25mm ortho (loved it). In my C8 I first got a 10mm Plossl, which also has poor eye relief, but it was sharp. I replaced this by first a 9mm Vixen LV (225x, used a lot) and later an additional LV 7mm (288x). The latter got used less, but is excellent for those nights of superb seeing (remember those :)). I have since replaced them by Radians (8 and 10mm) which I rate slightly above the LVs (especially nearer the edge of the FOV). Really comfortable EPs to use. I have heard very good reports of the much cheaper Vixen NLVs. Same eye relief, smaller FOV, but slightly better contrast than Radians (which get very mixed report, but I like mine), according to some. My report on my Radian is here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/member-equipment-reviews/96606-radian-8mm-vs-vixen-lvs-vs-barlow-meade-uwa.html

Enjoyed reading your report Michael. Also thanks to Brantuk for his advice (again). I have decided to go with the 8mm Radian.

Interestingly I found the reverse to be the case. For me the NLV (perhaps different coatings to the LV?) out performed the Radian. It was sharper and more contrasty. I also compared them with an Circle-T ortho - the ortho was brighter than the NLV, but sharpness and contrast were similar. I seemed to get a bit finer detail with the NLV - maybe the BGO is a better ortho then the Circle-T?

Michael I have a 10mm Hyperion which I enjoy using but I could not get on with my 8mm Hyperion for some reason. It is not the scope either as I have used a 6mm TMB on unusually good conditions and it was okay. I will try the radian 8mm and if it does not work for me I know I will have no problems selling it.

Interestingly I found the reverse to be the case. For me the NLV (perhaps different coatings to the LV?) out performed the Radian. It was sharper and more contrasty. I also compared them with an Circle-T ortho - the ortho was brighter than the NLV, but sharpness and contrast were similar. I seemed to get a bit finer detail with the NLV - maybe the BGO is a better ortho then the Circle-T?

The NLV is much more recent than the LV (which I always liked), and may well be better. I might try getting an NLV 9mm to compare to the Radians. I might also have a go at the Pentax XF 8.5 (if I can get it)

Excellent, glad they got there ok, sorry for the slight delay, life just got in the way for a few days!

Enjoy them! Sure I too will re buy some in future but different focal lengths

Cheers

Stu

cheers Stu

I'll be sending the 2" cap today by the way - needed to get to a PO and buy a stamp!

Archived