Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

BGO

Charon

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These people have some NLV models at around half price. Not the 9mm, unfortunately.:

Accessories

Thanks for the tip - just saved me £50! I wanted a 12mm to go with the 10mm I just ordered from FLO.

So now I am complete: I have the 12mm, 10mm and 9mm for my planetary viewing (x196, x235, x261) :)

The NLV is much more recent than the LV (which I always liked)

Oh blimey! - I always thought they were the same eyepiece! :icon_confused: The NLVs have gone right under my radar. Mind you - mighty pricey and a lot of elements for a 50-degree EP...

One to put on my "EPs to look through" list :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip - just saved me £50! I wanted a 12mm to go with the 10mm I just ordered from FLO.

So now I am complete: I have the 12mm, 10mm and 9mm for my planetary viewing (x196, x235, x261) :icon_confused:

No problem - glad it was of use :rolleyes:

Enjoyed reading your report Michael. Also thanks to Brantuk for his advice (again). I have decided to go with the 8mm Radian.

If you are considering the 8mm Radian, may be you should also consider the Pentax XF 8.5mm

It's £60 cheaper than the Radian and potentially better according to this CN review.

12mm Radian and 12mm Pentax XF - Review

I'm glad that I've seen this thread and know now what BGO stands for!

I currently have a 17mm and 8mm Baader Hyperion. I think I'd love to see a better view of Jupiter, it's really a little small in my 8mm. So I was thinking about a 5mm BGO. I am using a SW Evostar 120ED - Any thoughts on this? Good EP for me? When I looked at the FOV calculator the 5mm BGO gave a much bigger Jupiter than the equivalent Hyperion - Hence my thinking as bigger is better right?

Improving the coatings could explain the observed differences.

Can't rule it out - then again that's true of any eyepiece line.

For example - returning to BGOs for the moment - I've heard people say they've owned a BGO and a UO-HD and seen differences not just in the coatings but also in the apparent field of view. Then later I read a post by someone who observed the same differences between - not a UO and a BGO - but TWO different 12.5mm BGOs!

It seems at some point that Baader widened the field-stops and changed the coatings - so if buying a pair for binoviewing, they need to be of the same vintage. It also seems likely that it's just as possible to find identical BGO/UO-HD pairs as it is to find mismatched ones - it's not that one brand is better than the other.

It's not too much of a stretch to see this may be the case with other eyepiece lines from other manufacturers too. The ubiquitous 26mm Meade 4000 Plossl for example, has no less than six different versions over time - even the current version can have differences between units in its internal build.

I currently have a 17mm and 8mm Baader Hyperion. I think I'd love to see a better view of Jupiter, it's really a little small in my 8mm. So I was thinking about a 5mm BGO. I am using a SW Evostar 120ED - Any thoughts on this? Good EP for me? When I looked at the FOV calculator the 5mm BGO gave a much bigger Jupiter than the equivalent Hyperion - Hence my thinking as bigger is better right?

A 5mm will give you the right magnification for your scope, but at 5mm the eye relief on a BGO will be very short at 4mm. You might prefer something with 20mm eye relief for ease of use.

A 5mm will give you the right magnification for your scope, but at 5mm the eye relief on a BGO will be very short at 4mm. You might prefer something with 20mm eye relief for ease of use.

WHat would you suggest then as a good 5mm? Will all 5mm give the same magnification and size in the EP? I ask as the FOV calculator didn't suggest that to be the case.

I must say I am tempted by the XF 8.5. Two things to keep in mind are on the one hand that it notoriously difficult to rate an eyepiece objectively, and on the other hand that there will be differences between individual EPs of the same type. If two designs are closely matched, two different two-way comparisons may come out differently, simply because of these differences. If different people make the comparison between two different pairs, things are even more complicated.

Yes, in other words a certain EP may suit me and might not suit you so to speak. It is a minefield of choice.

Sara, I do not think the FOV calculater is that accurate as it does not represent the views I get from my CPC800.

Yes, in other words a certain EP may suit me and might not suit you so to speak. It is a minefield of choice.

Sara, I do not think the FOV calculater is that accurate as it does not represent the views I get from my CPC800.

Even worse, one Vixen LV might be better than a particular TV Radian, whereas the same LV may be worse than another Radian of the same focal length. Better and worse in this case refers to very small differences indeed. In this price bracket, there are really only excellent and outstanding EPs. Mine field it may be, but you can't really put a cut seriously wrong.

WHat would you suggest then as a good 5mm? Will all 5mm give the same magnification and size in the EP? I ask as the FOV calculator didn't suggest that to be the case.

All 5mm eyepieces will give the same magnification, but may have different field of views.

For a similar price to the BGO, the Celestron X-Cel LX is getting good reviews. At a lower price you have TMB Planetarys and BST Explorers. All these are 60° eyepieces with good eye relief.

For example - returning to BGOs for the moment - I've heard people say they've owned a BGO and a UO-HD and seen differences not just in the coatings but also in the apparent field of view. Then later I read a post by someone who observed the same differences between - not a UO and a BGO - but TWO different 12.5mm BGOs!....

I currently have a 5mm University HD ortho and 6mm and 7mm Baader GO's. There are a number of cosmetic differences between the two brands but optically the UO-HD seems identical to the BGO's including coating appearance and function and field stop size. The field stop edge is not quite as sharply defined in the UO-HD as it is in the BGO's but it's quite acceptable IMHO.

But, as with all mass produced eyepieces, I'm sure subtle design variations creep in from time to time and there will be some quality variation between individual batches and even units within batches I guess.

All 5mm eyepieces will give the same magnification

On paper yes, but (as you're aware, I'm sure) in practice an OEM eyepiece which one brand relabels as 4.7mm another may simplify to 5mm, or one that's 5.5mm may be similarly rounded down and labeled as 5mm.

A Hyperion has a bigger AFOV but this isn't reflected in the 12dstring calculator's display (if that's what you were using). So Jupiter may appear smaller, but you have to imagine the whole circular image scaled up by the ratio of the two AFOVs, which should make Jupiter the same size if both eyepieces are 5mm.

Tom

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Archived