Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moving to a pier

libraryman

Well iv'e finally dropped my homemade 10" pier onto it's block and temporarily fitted my mount.

Now i'm questioning myself is it high enough Doh!

1.1 mtrs to the dovetail, about chest height on me, the logic was that i can always raise it.

Ray

post-13801-133877692629_thumb.jpg

post-13801-133877692639_thumb.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10inch dia steel tube. 8mm wall, the base and top are profile cut 8mm plate all tig welded and powder coated, weighs a ton.

i decided against any additional struts,figuring that the san that fills the hole will brace it enough?

just electrics to do and looking to make a base to walk on.

Ray

post-13801-133877692664_thumb.jpg

post-13801-133877692672_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments, the tube is 1mtr long and just too high at ground level, it was always going to be a compromise on the height but i chose to drop it to accomodate my eyepeice height to my reflector.

As the photo shows the mount sits on alloy tube 5 1/2" dia about 7" high so the height should be o.k.

No building around it planned as yet but i had to go quite deep to get a good base and filling in with that much concrete was just overkill so i'll fill it with sand for the time being.

Sorry Jules it's not something i want to make another of at this time.

Ray

Thanks for the comments, the tube is 1mtr long and just too high at ground level, it was always going to be a compromise on the height but i chose to drop it to accomodate my eyepeice height to my reflector.

As the photo shows the mount sits on alloy tube 5 1/2" dia about 7" high so the height should be o.k.

No building around it planned as yet but i had to go quite deep to get a good base and filling in with that much concrete was just overkill so i'll fill it with sand for the time being.

Sorry Jules it's not something i want to make another of at this time.

Ray

That would seen OK then. If you were using a refractor then you may struggle a bit.

The pier dimensions are very similar to mine, and no struts/fins are used and it's very stable. You should be OK with that setup.

Great job on the pier Ray. I had to dig my pier out because I got the height totally wrong and dam was that hard work. If I may suggest if you were to mount the pier level with the ground (and avoid excess corrosion by not burying the steel) could you not adjust the ground height to get it just right? IE: lay some decking around the pier and then use slabs as packers to get it to the desired height?? This way you would also avoid turning the ground in to a mud pit around the Pier.

I had considered the option of decking around the pier as a way of lowering it, i already have a lot of decking and boy is it a pain to maintain (for me anyway)

but you have a very good point and i'm not sure that i have it right.

However i can offset the risk of corrosion by boxing it and filling around the boxing.

i might lower the ground in a 8ft circle and slab at garden level, i'm just looking at options at the mo.

52" Tony is quite high but it goes to show that there really is no std that fits all!

Ray

i might lower the ground in a 8ft circle and slab at garden level, i'm just looking at options at the mo.

I'd check what the water table is like where you are before doing anything like that as after a few days rain your new Pier could end up a pond feature :D

It's fine Spaceboy, i built the bungalow so i know whats underneath it, thanks for the consideration.

In the meantime iv'e been looking through your posts Tony, i see we are very much on the same track with the pier design!

very interesting that i paid just £20:00 for profile cut plates and the same for powder coating, you had yourself a bargain with the pipe so well done!

The obsy is looking good.

Ray

It's fine Spaceboy, i built the bungalow so i know whats underneath it, thanks for the consideration.

In the meantime iv'e been looking through your posts Tony, i see we are very much on the same track with the pier design!

very interesting that i paid just £20:00 for profile cut plates and the same for powder coating, you had yourself a bargain with the pipe so well done!

The obsy is looking good.

Ray

Yes I had a good deal with my pier material. The overall length of the pier is 52", but about 12" is below floor level.

I should get the tape out and get exact measurements for future reference. :D

EDIT...

I had to go and check. The pier is 38" above the floor to the mount plate. Then there is a 2" aluminiun mount adapter. The EQ6 is mounted to that. HTH.

Well iv'e finally dropped my homemade 10" pier onto it's block and temporarily fitted my mount.

Now i'm questioning myself is it high enough Doh!

1.1 mtrs to the dovetail, about chest height on me, the logic was that i can always raise it.

Ray

I started with 10 in ID steel tube as well but since my scope is an SCT I wanted it to be lower when observing near the horizon and higher when observing near zenith. The answer was a set of telescoping tubes, a linear actuator and two linear bearings. Now I can adjust the height of my scope at will and the linear bearings keep the alignment precise.

post-20740-133877693401_thumb.jpg

post-20740-133877693407_thumb.jpg

But overklill is always good in astronomy...

Olly

I agree Olly. Starting out it was obvious to me a pier would be necessary to combat vibration and avoid taking a pissa over tripod legs. Sadly though I only had an EQ5 back in the day and overkill seemed pointless given the capacity of the mount and no intension's of imaging I just went with a 6" drain pipe filled with concrete and the odd bit of steel. As I progressed through the hobby my demands have become greater but my pier is now the weak link and with an obsy built around it a difficult one to replace ;) The good thing with Ray, Tony and BWfitz's design is that it's portable should the need arise to move house, it's a solid foundation for even the biggest upgrades and even if it wasn't it's easily replaced and the old pier can be sold on.

My piers are very humble compared to these but they work fine. You won't get any jitters with these, I'm certain. Very nice work. Mine just bolt onto concrete without being set into it. But overklill is always good in astronomy...

Olly

Couldn't agree more, Olly. It's sometimes fun to completely overkill a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Well finally moved over to the pier, mounted my Vixen 102 apo for the time being, polar aligned and tonight i will be checking the pe of my mount.

seems very stable no ringing when the motors are running.

i took some of the advise in the threads and raised the pier somewhat, when i mount the 200mm f4.5 reflector onto it i'm hoping i'll just reach the eyepiece, might look for a dual mount bar!

Ray

post-13801-133877703516_thumb.jpg

post-13801-133877703523_thumb.jpg

Archived