Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

H-alpha scope opinions?

ScubaMike

Posting here rather than the Imaging discussion area as this is more Solar orientated.

I have a sum to spend on an h-alpha setup.

I am very much undecided.

I have found a DS Coronado Solarmax II 60 for a shade under £2,000. I am also looking at Lunt systems (although getting stores to respond is not easy when you are looking for information or prices). I am very tempted with the Pressure tuned options on the Lunt scopes, but that of course comes at a premium.

In the mix are:-

Coronado DS Solarmax II 60 BF10

or

Coronado Single stack Solarmax II 60 BF10 plus a PST

or

Coronado Single stack Solarmax II 60 BF10 plus an LS35Tha

or

Lunt LS60THa (pressure tuned B1200)

Would be wanting to image (DMK21), love promenances, but appreciate that there is more to see with good surface detail resolution.

Any opinions?

Alternatives?

Am I right in going for the BF10/B1200 variants?

If you have experience of any/all of the above, I would love to hear your opinions and recommendations. I have had the joy of looking through a DS Solarmax II 90, and was blown away with the views, but also appreciated the PST. I have not yet managed a look through the Lunt.

I have read numerous reviews, and still not decided.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello ScubaMike.

I've had the opprtunity to try out most Ha scopes and so far the only rig that impressed me more than my 125mm PST mod was a high end TV refractor double stacked with two 90mm front etalons. The view was no more detailed but the ability to show a full Solar disc was wonderfull. I'm planning to address this difference soon by purchasing a larger blocking filter. BTW, my rig cost less than 1K!

I have a friend with a 60mm Lunt/BF12 which is excellent, a step up from a good PST. I'm at the Astronomy Centre most sunny afternoons for solar observing. :D

That's a hard one!

I think if you go for a 60mm they are as much grab and go as a PST if mounted on a suitable mount, I don't see much reason for having both.

The old type Coronado filters really are superior to the Lunt (but only from an imaging point of view, I've never actually looked through a Lunt).

The Lunt prices over here are terribly inflated, much cheaper in the USA.

The size of blocking filter, the bigger you have the more space around the sun you will have, this can be vital when imaging, just giving you that extra room.

I would go double stack if you can, you see 100% more detail and resolution and the prominences just pop out in 3D, it is such a delight.

Pressure tuned, well, never having used one I have heard nothing but excellent reviews, if you wish to do doppler shift work, this is very easy, if you wish for a beautiful even on band view this is superior.

It is very much a personal opinion I think and a balance of what you intend to use it for mostly. I am not very experienced in this matter as I have never looked through any of these scopes. However if you wish to ask a master who owns them all chat to Stephen Ramsden here:

Categories - SolarChat

He will answer you very quickly (say I sent you)!

Regards

Alexandra

My LS60PT B1200 works well for full disk images, the DMK41 nearly allows for a full disk (easy 2image stitch). You can get quite a bit of contrast back in processing. the large filter and pressure tune, mean the disk is very even, unlike some of the other options. Double stacking would increase the contrast, but increase the cost a lot. Depends on how much you are looking to put into this and whether you want to image (double stacking less neccessary or visually observing (double stacking more desirable). For imaging it might be better to go for a larger single stack unit. Stephen is the man to contact, he seems to have used everything, tell him what you want to do and let him guide you!

Prominence's are faint, so to get them well, you want aperture and camera sensitivity, maybe the new DMK21 618, though for a full disk you would have a lot of stitching to do!

Cheers

PEter

Mnay thanks for all the responses.

I have contacted Stephen Ramsden and he has been really helpful.

For information, he recommends the Pressure tuned Lunt 60 (single stacked) over the DS Coronado 60 for personal imaging, but prefers the coronado for Outreach use.

The LS35 was great for outreach viewing, but not recommended for any imaging use.

I will probably go for the LS60 PT & B1200, but have a final question with Stephen regarding the benefits/cost of the Pressure tunng over tilt tuning.

Then I will be pricing things up.

At the moment, it is looking like it might be considerably cheaper to import myself (and take the VAT & import duty hit) rather than buy local (it is in the region of £450 or 25% cheaper).

I appreciate that if I have any warranty issues it could get expensive, but the Lunts appear to have a good reputation for quality.

I have had a response to my final(?) question to Stephen.

I asked if the pressure tuning was really worth the additional $$, or if I would be better going for other imaging equipment.

Response was that pressure tuning gives such good results (double the tuning range of the tilt tuning option) that it represents good value.

So, on balance, I will be looking for a Lunt LS60, B1200 blocking filter, crayford focuser, with Pressure tuning.

Now to find the best possible price.

It may ideed increase the tuning range...but consider how many times in your life that you will need to use the tuner at these extremes... The doppler shift (with my double stack set-up, which is more critical than a single etalon) is always within the reach of the PST tuning.....

Just my 0.02euro

EDIT:

Just read the review...the shift in bandwidth is only +/-0.4A - this can easily be done with any of the Coronado etalons.....

Thanks Merlin,

Always open to advice.

I'm not buying immediately (in the next couple of months), just covering off all the bases I can think of and getting pricing done.

Also hoping to take up one or more of the kind offers of actually looking though one of these.

Still keeping options open....

but have just priced up on some US sites.

Including duty (4.2%) and VAT(20%) it looks like I could get a LS35THa B600 AND a LS60 CPT B1200 for £250 less than an LS60 CPT B1200 alone in the UK. (If Mr Customs & Excise is on a tea break, it would save another £375 on top of that).

Rip off Britain indeed.

Appreciate that there would be shipping problems with anything needing done under warranty, but can anyone explain the massive markup that there appears to be in the UK for this type of scope?

PS, only managed to get a price on the Lunt telescopes from a single UK supplier, all the others ask to be contacted then don't respond.

There is no explanation apart from the fact that it isn't the poor dealers here in the UK. The price is set by Lunt at an extortionate price - refer to Lunt Europe website. I asked this very question to them as you can buy 3 Lunt 100 filters in USA for the price of 2 in the UK. They never replied!!! but it isn't shipping and duty.

By the way, the duty etc has to be paid direct to the shipping company, they won't deliver the item until you have paid it, Customs and Excise don't take a tea break!

Alexandra

Pity, would have been nice if they did.

I think they deserve one.... just about when my package is coming through......

I have heard that packages somethims slip through the net, even if it didn't, it would still be a substantial saving.

On further reading, I see a few posts about issues with the Pressure tuning models. And those units having to go back to Lunt for the baromtric chamber to be re-sealed.

Does anyone have any information on this? Was it a "first few batches" type issue, now long forgotten?

Try to get a view through the SM60/BF15 combo mounted on an ED80...the longer focal length, better focuser and the BF15 can make all the difference....

Would that require a mounting plate merlin?

I'm a little confused by exactly what is required to convert a standard telescope to be solar capable. You sent me the plans for a PST conversion, but I am a little slow on the uptake.

My understanding is, an ERF, and a suitable blocking filter.

Would an ERF contain the appropriate etalon to allow tuning?

All the external etalons also function as an ERF. No additional filters required. They are tuned by the T max adjuster which comes with each one.

Yes, you would need an adaptor plate to mount the SM60/Tmax onto the scope.

With the SM60 up front, you just need the blocking filter (BF15) at the eyepiece end and you're in business.....

HTH

EDIT: The image shows my SM60 double stack fitted to the ED80 - and the Vegemite "patented" tuning controller!

post-15261-133877693386_thumb.jpg

I bought my Lunt 60 from Ian King imaging, and Ian was very helpful - and I think the lowest price of all the UK suppliers.

All UK stock comes through Lunt Europe, though, i beleive.

Callum

Unfortunately the prices in Europe are so inflated that if I decide on the Lunt, I will be buying from the US and importing. Much as I would like to support UK suppliers, its a bit of a no brainer.

For £250 less than the price of an LS60CPT BF1200, I can get an LS60CPT BF1200 and an LS35 BF600 (to keep an eye on the whole disk when imaging in case something else interesting is happening).

a bit off topic, but what makes the ls35 unsuitable for imaging? i was thinking about getting one, but if i thought there was no way i could get a nice webcam image (just something simple, not pow quality!) i might need to have a rethink.

btw - cheeky question, where was the cheapest american place you found for lunt stuff?

thanks,

stephen

Interesting thread. I have an LS60/B1200 Lunt with tilt tuning. I would be curious to try the pressure tuned version but find I like the scope very much, as do our guests.

The standard Crayford has been a pain, though. These cheapo Crayfords work when they work which means some owners are happy and some aren't. This triggers a debate along the lines of,'They are OK/They are not OK.' My own view is that they MIGHT be OK or they might be a pain. Mine is a pain. I wish I'd gone for the Feathertouch which I have on my big night time refractor. I'd put the money there before worrying about the pressure tuner, personally.

Olly

Thanks Olly,

another option into the mix ;). Thought I had just about made my mind up.

But as focus is always a bug bear for me, It is an option worth exploring. There is no doubt the quality of any images would be influenced by either option, begs the question, which one would affect them most.

As suggested earlier, it might be worth viewing through some of the options, as there is nothing like first hand experience to swing your opinion.

I kind of like the option of getting a smaller, full disk viewing option to keep an eye on other activity if imaging through the main scope.

It would also be useful for the outreach events I'm planning on getting involved with next year, as it would allow multiple viewers at the same time.

It may come down to either the PT module, or the FT option.

Can I stretch to both options on a single scope....... ???

a bit off topic, but what makes the ls35 unsuitable for imaging? i was thinking about getting one, but if i thought there was no way i could get a nice webcam image (just something simple, not pow quality!) i might need to have a rethink.

I don't think the LS35 is unsuitable for imaging, but more like not-optimal.

If you do want to image with the LS35 the bigger 600 blocking filter is recommended, i believe (basic scope comes with 400).

[edit]

there are a few pics taken with the LS35 here:

http://luntsolarsystems.com/blog/page/2

Callum

I think the basic LS35 package (4mm Blocking filter) would be a real struggle.

The "delux" package, with the 6mm blocking filter would probably be doable, but, as callump says, the 12mm blocking filter would be a far better option.

Archived