Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Research gone mad?

Hello all,

I'm all for researching something before taking the plunge but I think I may have gone too far!

I joined this sight in November last year with a view to buying a scope. I wanted (as does everyone) something that can do everything! Doesn't exist or if it does it's way over my budget. That's almost a year of looking into buying a telescope!

Anyhow, my interest is in Jupiter and Saturn but I would like to be able to see Andromeda etc etc.

So for planets I had decided a mak 127. I had also decided on a 80mm ED for widefield.

Anyhow I can't have both. Flat is too small and until I get a house with a shed / garage one is the limit.

The 80 ED would be the perfect size. I could put it on a photo tripod and away I go. The mak I think would need an eq mount. More space.

So my question to you all is - can I see the planets reasonably well using an 80mm frac? I have seen the field of view example thing and if I stick a 3x barlow on a 3.5 mm eyepice Jupiter looks huge. Perfect. However this means a magnification of x475. Don't think that is practical.

This will be my first and possibly only scope so want to make the right choice. So do I buy the mak which would give good planetary views or get the frac which will do everything else and be a good guidescope if I ended up getting a larger mak in the future (maybe a 180 PRO).

It doesn't help the fact that I like the look of the 80mm fracs! Keep having to say to myself form over function!

All views, derogatory or otherwise welcome.

I'm afraid a photo tripod - even a good one - is completely unsuitable for use when observing planets.

On the scope front, have you considered a TAL 100RS or perhaps a 100ED of some kind, on an Alt-Az mount like an AZ4 ? You'll probably find that 80mm isn't really a big enough aperture for planets, even if the scope is a good one.

I have indeed considered a 100ED (the Equinox). However with mount it is a little bit out of my price range.

I'm not saying I want the planets to fill the eyepiece. I just don't want to buy a scope and then see a dot. I can see that already!

If you really are pushed for space and have the budget for a 127mm Mak you may be surprised at the number of DSO's you will be able to see. Most folks consider them 'planetary' scopes because of the long focal length, but for visual use, 127mm is still 127mm. Plenty big enough to capture a reasonable amount of light. Way more than an 80ED, in a tube not much bigger. Stick a 32mm plossl EP in it and you will still have a decent field of view to play with.

Like great_bear I feel you need 100mm aperture as a minimum to get satisfying views of the planets. I've tried a number of 80mm scopes (including ED80's) and they were fun for a while but seemed to "run out of puff" rather quickly.

Perhaps a 6" F/5 newtonian on an alt-azimuth mount would meet both of your needs ?.

Far too easy to over-research stuff, but I think in your circumstances the Mak127 is a good choice.

Not everyone likes them but I used to have a Startravel achromat which wasn't a bad all-rounder. However, they do suffer from chromatic aberration as they have a short focal length.

80mm is definitely too small as an observing scope though others may disagree. Great for imaging though.

Geoff

A couple of comments for what they are worth.....

I would agree with Rik that maks are actually far more than just planetary scopes. There are plenty of dso's (globs, planetary nebula etc) which don't need a very wide fov and the 127mm aperture will give you plenty in a compact tube which will be great on planets too.

Second, possibly controversial point. Andromeda for me has never got dramatically better even with quite big apertures. I wouldn't compromise on everything else just to get a wide field view of andromeda if you are really interested in planets. Get a big pair of bins and go to a really dark site for your wide field stuff. As I said, just an opinion :-) :-)

Cheers

Stu

Hi speech I have both a c80ed and a c100ed both bought on the s/h Market at very reasonable prices I had a mak 127 I have a 250mm dobsonian but for visual use on planets I use the c100ed on a az4 mount I feel it's the best all rounder out of my scopes and at f/9 it's good on ep's so for visual use on planets double stars lunar , globs you can't beat it and to think you can pick a c100ed or a Tal rs for less then £250 on the s/h Market it's a no brainer for me ... Thats my view on it ..

If you intened it to be a one and only scope then I would suggest waiting for a 100ED. It will simply be a size that will show all you want and which you would keep and not need to upgrade.

The 80's are good and have the advantage in transport and grab-and-go ability. But for the purpose you describe then realy the 100 is worth waiting for.

As Skywatcher seem to make a couple of 80ED ranges what is the budget that you are looking at?

You might, not sure how well, get away with a solid camera tripod for a while you will want a equitorial and one with dual motors at some time.

As the scope is to be ED then I would suggest "long" f number, sort of 8 or 9. You get a flatter image so easier to use for visual.

Suspect that a nice 80ED will not disappoint, but you may regret slightly not getting a 100ED eventually.

I have indeed considered a 100ED (the Equinox). However with mount it is a little bit out of my price range.

The Sky-Watcher Evostar 100ED is the same lens (different tube) at a more affordable price. Many people buy the even cheaper Celestron version (again, this is the same lens as the Equinox) and buy a better focuser for it. The Celestron 100EDs crop up second-hand for around the £200 mark.

I'm not saying I want the planets to fill the eyepiece.
They never do :) at 200x you'll Jupiter looks little bigger than a pea on a dinner plate.

Thanks for all the replies / help.

The reason I was looking at the equinox over the standard 100ed was because as far a I can tell it is ever so slightly shorter This is important as I live in a flat in London and space is at a premium (also a reason a Newt is a big no no) - this is also kind of the reason I was looking into the 80mm as well as it might (I thought it would) mean I didn't need a mount (more space saved). I would intend on getting another scope in the future (a very big one) but for the time being that's a no no!

It 'was' a William Optics 80mm I was looking at. Fl 555mm. It is clear from what you guys have said that for planetary (even small versions of them) this is no where near up to the requirement. It is gorgeous though.

Any further help or opinions very welcome.

Hello.

I have both a 80mm ED and a 102mm Achro and for planetary both are very nice but the larger aperture has a noticeable increase in detail even with a litlle fringing at high power.

If space is a premium then the smaller 80mm may be better.

One thing I have found with the 102mm f/9.8 is you do need a hefty mount as they are physically quite large and do get buffeted by the wind if it's breezy.

You have no chance with a photo tripod unless it's seriously beefy.

My tripod is a photo tripod with 20kg plus load capacity and it's a little wobbly at times

A Skymax 127 pack more aperture into a smaller tube. I am not sure about which mount you would need for one though. I have mine on an EQ3-2 with motor drives. The mount lives in the wardrobe in the bedroom, the OTA and eyepieces etc live in a small sports holdall on top of the wardrobe.

I'll be honest, it is my least favourite scope but not because it is bad, it is just that the other scopes I have are better for what I want to look at. But it sure is small and packs a huge punch for something so tiny. I use it for public outreach events and my son uses it for lunar observation.

Hi

Whereabouts in London are you?

There are plenty of amateurs in and around London and numerous clubs.

Your best bet would be to join up with one and go along to their viewing nights.

There is bound to be someone with the scopes you are thinking about (or ones very similar) that will no doubt be more than willing to let you have a gander through.

You cannot beat a bit of hands on knowledge.

Regards Steve

Probably heading to the Regents Park one tomorrow. Assuming people there let me have a look I'll get some kind of idea what I want. Assuming people have the scope I am thinking about. I'll take my camera along and have a go at some night shots.

Archived