Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Whats the 6" dob like?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mate, theres a 8 .5 inch for sale in the "for sale section" for £125 !!! wont be there long i wouldnt have thought.

i cant buy anything till after christmas,under strict instruction from the misses, but my thats a bargain.

mate, theres a 8 .5 inch for sale in the "for sale section" for £125 !!! wont be there long i wouldnt have thought.

i cant buy anything till after christmas,under strict instruction from the misses, but my thats a bargain.

Is it any good ? have no idea on scopes etc...

The 6 inch is a fine scope, but there seems to be quite a jump in detail from the 6 to the 8 inch than any other scope I have tried.

You can see the Messier objects with the 6 inch; for example, in a dark sky, M13 appears to be a "fuzzy blob" with resolved stars around its perimeter and no resolution on the centre, whereas the 8 inch renders star resolution pretty much to the core of the globular cluster.

The 6 inch does a fine job on planets and double stars; Alberio's colours are very rich in this scope. The Crab nebula appears very faint.

The 6 inch is a fine scope, but there seems to be quite a jump in detail from the 6 to the 8 inch than any other scope I have tried.

You can see the Messier objects with the 6 inch; for example, in a dark sky, M13 appears to be a "fuzzy blob" with resolved stars around its perimeter and no resolution on the centre, whereas the 8 inch renders star resolution pretty much to the core of the globular cluster.

The 6 inch does a fine job on planets and double stars; Alberio's colours are very rich in this scope. The Crab nebula appears very faint.

So what about the 8 half inch thats for sale is that any good?

so im still gonna see alot through a 6" but you make it sound better waiting for the extra 2" lol

I think the general consensus is that you will get a lot more mileage out of the 8 inch - it truly is a keeper. It is well worth the wait.

If you can resist aperture fever, this scope will serve you for a lifetime's worth of observing, combined with a good set of eyepieces, a good barlow and a filter or two (a moon filter and a UHC OR 0III). The telescope does come with eyepieces and will be okay for a while, but it is advisable to upgrade even to the Skywatcher Plossl range that are priced around £20 each.

Not only does it have the aperture to give a satisfying night's viewing, it is small enough to chuck (:)) into a car and be taken to a darker location.

Are you familiar with the brand at all ?

To be honest its the first time i have heard of this brand. Thats not saying much though because i certainly am not an expert on scopes. If i had to give an opinion........i'd say it looks like a vintage Dob from maybe the 70-80's. I'm sure i'll be proven wrong though.

Either a 6" or an 8" Dob makes a first class introductory scope.

An 8" will indeed show more detail in DSO's but don't write off a 6" as it will still show a great deal.

There is a lot to be said for starting with the smaller scopes. First as you have nothing to compare it too, any scope can impress. Second, when aperture fever grips, an upgrade from a 6" to your next scope will probably be a nice big jump.

Regards Steve

like i say, i dont know about this make either. id send a personel e mail and find out some more info.

mind you ,fareham a bit of a journey to derbyshire.

and for my penny's worth about apeture. ive started with a humble 90mm refractor,ive already decided( when her indoors allows) my next purchase will be a 8 inch dob. as i started with smaller telescope i will probably see a big difference moving on to a 200mm ! you might find a 6 inch will be good for you. in my 3.5 inch scope im already seeing some fantastic objects,so 6 inch is going to be exellent id have thought.

like i say, i dont know about this make either. id send a personel e mail and find out some more info.

mind you ,fareham a bit of a journey to derbyshire.

lol tell me about it i could probably do it in 2hrs 30 mins im used to driving as i travel all over the country sent an email just waiting for a reply have you looked at their website at all?

Just to get back to the original question.

There is nothing wrong with a 6" scope. You will get great views. I think many people here are saying/thinking that if you can hold out til you can buy an 8" scope then that would be the way to go.

My "mini" Dob is only 5.1" in aperture (yes the .1 is important to me) and i LOVE the views it gives me. If i was to observe through a 6" or an 8" scope then my socks would be sooooooo blown off that it would take me a long time to find them again.

Beacon Hill are/were a Notts based scope maker a long time ago. I've no idea what happened to them but you only hear about them as vintage scopes nowadays. They were quite reputable at the time and I know the guy selling the one on the for sale board - he's a nice chap and won't do anyone over.

As allways though - go see the scope first and check it over - satisfy yourself that the mirrors are clean and unbroken and find out what condition the coatings are in. If it's collimatable and in working order then it should be fine. Make sure you can fit modern day eyepieces to it with no bother.

I'm sure Steve will be able to tell you all about it for the sake of a pm. £125 seems quite reasonable for a punt on an older model scope assuming all's well with it. :)

Beacon Hill Telescopes is alive and well and making telescopes and mounts to order as well as being a supplier of telescope making supplies. Spoke to them last week so they're still there.

http://beaconhilltelescopes.org.uk/

Beacon Hill Telescopes

Hope Cottage

Birketts Lane

Covenham St Bartholomew

Louth

LN11 0FF

Tel: ++44 (0)1507 363 381

John

Beacon Hill are/were a Notts based scope maker a long time ago. I've no idea what happened to them but you only hear about them as vintage scopes nowadays. They were quite reputable at the time and I know the guy selling the one on the for sale board - he's a nice chap and won't do anyone over.

As allways though - go see the scope first and check it over - satisfy yourself that the mirrors are clean and unbroken and find out what condition the coatings are in. If it's collimatable and in working order then it should be fine. Make sure you can fit modern day eyepieces to it with no bother.

I'm sure Steve will be able to tell you all about it for the sake of a pm. £125 seems quite reasonable for a punt on an older model scope assuming all's well with it. :)

Ive sent him a P.M he does seem like a nice bloke it has no eye pieces and a spot finder which would all need replacing which i think in the long run with the distance wouldnt be cost effective which is a shame and i dont want to take the mickey by asking him to lower the price. It is a shame cause i very nearly said yes looks like another good deal passes me bye. dam it

Archived