Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

13mm Ethos

Damo636

I had a brief session last night with my newly aquired 13mm Ethos. When a used and as new 13 popped up on ABS i made a decision to sell my 19 Panoptic and 13 Nagler to fund it. Having never looked through a 100 degree ep i knew i was taking a real gamble but thought what the heck, if i don't try it i'll never know.

Anyway, i only had an hour last night to quickly get aquainted with the new addition so picked a few of the more obvious targets to try it out on, M13, M27, M31, M57, Epsilon Lyrae and finally Albireo. All i can say is this eyepiece is simply incredible. Field of view aside, which is enormous, i found the Ethos so easy to use. Although i loved the Nagler, i always found the eye relief just a little tight. With the Ethos the extra 3mm of eye relief was really noticeable to me and i found it so easy and comfortable to use. Eye placement was easy and at no time did i encounter any kidney bean effects. I prefered to use it with the rubber eye guard folded down as it gave me the effect of looking out a spaceship window. I started out with a few doubles to give my eyes time to dark adapt so headed of to Epsilon Lyrae first. This is the cleanest i have ever seen it split at this magnification, 92x, pinpoint stars with definite space in between. Albireo was beautiful as usual but somehow the contrasting colours just seemed that bit more pronounced than with the Nagler. My eyes now fairly well adapted i headed over to M27. WOW!, this is the best i have ever seen the Dumbbell. The contrast of the Ethos really came into play on this object. The dumbbell shape really stood out against the dark background. I popped in the Oiii to see could it be further inhanced but to be honest the quality of view gained very little with the addition of the filter. The Ring Nebula also stood out nicely against the lovely black background and it was easy to see the central black core of the object. I then swung the dob round to M13 and OMG!!, what a sight it was. Again this was the best i have ever seen it, so bright and beautiful against the lovely black background. I finished off with a quick look at M31 and although it spilled out over the fov still looked incredible.

So, to sum up. I found the 13mm Ethos an incredible piece of kit, easily the finest eyepiece i have looked through to date. Fov aside, i found the Ethos so easy to get on with. The eye relief for me was just about perfect and eye placement is easy. The superior contrast, sharpness and the neutral colour tone gave up stunning views of everything i looked at. A recent thread questioned whether or not Televue eyepiece's were overrated. For me, at least regarding this eyepiece i would have to say it was worth every hard earned penny and i could not be happier with it. The 8mm is incoming today and i have no doubt it will be equally as impressive as its bigger brother. This one is most definately a keeper. Incredible eyepiece :)

Glad you're liking it, I recently took delivery of a 17mm Ethos but still haven't had a chance to use it, weather isn't playing ball. Can't wait to test it out, though.

Btw, don't mean to split hairs but it's Albireo :)

Glad you're liking it, I recently took delivery of a 17mm Ethos but still haven't had a chance to use it, weather isn't playing ball. Can't wait to test it out, though.

Btw, don't mean to split hairs but it's Albireo :)

And corrected :)

Congratulations on the Ethos 13mm Damo - I'm really plaease that you like it. As John says, there is so much more to them than the 100 degree field of view. I'm sure you will love the 8mm too.

I'm fighting a constant mental battle regarding the 21mm Ethos - fortunately my wallet is saying "no" at the moment :)

Edit: I won't brag about my Antares 1.6x giving me 5mm and 3.75mm Ethos then :)

Edit: I won't brag about my Antares 1.6x giving me 5mm and 3.75mm Ethos then :)[/quote

I want one to create a 5mm and 3.3mm (used in front of the diagonal) from the 8mm Ethos. One on Ebay at the minute in the Usa, but if customs get there grubby hands on it it could work out expensive. None in the UK that i can find. Decisions, Decisions :icon_scratch:

Edit: I won't brag about my Antares 1.6x giving me 5mm and 3.75mm Ethos then :)[/quote

I want one to create a 5mm and 3.3mm (used in front of the diagonal) from the 8mm Ethos. One on Ebay at the minute in the Usa, but if customs get there grubby hands on it it could work out expensive. None in the UK that i can find. Decisions, Decisions :icon_scratch:

If you can get one, do. They are not expensive items (when you can find them) but optically excellent. Last night I had both my ED refractors out on one mount and had the 6mm Ethos in the 120mm and the 8mm Ethos plus Antares 1.6x barlow in the 102mm. Comparing the views of Jupiter, while the aperture of the scopes made some difference to the ease with which fine details were seen, the barlow just seemed to "get out of the way" :)

I am definatly going to get one John. By all accounts they are indeed excellent. I may still chance the one on ebay. I got lucky with the Protostar Flockboard recently and avoided customs so might take the chance again if nothing turns up in the meantime.

EDIT: I bought one from Agena in the USA. Fingers crossed now everyone it slips through the customs net :)

Congratulations on the Ethos 13mm Damo - I'm really plaease that you like it. As John says, there is so much more to them than the 100 degree field of view. I'm sure you will love the 8mm too.

I'm fighting a constant mental battle regarding the 21mm Ethos - fortunately my wallet is saying "no" at the moment :)

Edit: I won't brag about my Antares 1.6x giving me 5mm and 3.75mm Ethos then :)

You have lost your battle-see my report in the observing section. If I had any lingering doubts about the 21 they disappeared last night. I wont brag about the 13 and 17 Ethos or the 2x powermate then:evil6:

Archived