NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

warm boots - recommendations?

GazK

Weasy boots arrived today. Seem fine - essentially a wooly sock sewn to insole and inserted inside a short welly.

Feet were toasty enough during a quick try on but have yet to brave the elements. Still they have to be better than the trainers I wore on Wednesday night in the bitter cold!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simon what I wear are lined combat trousers and thermal long johns to keep my legs warm; the outer skin of the combat trousers is a thin synthetic material with a thicker material used for the lining.

Phil

I wear double thermal long johns (when necessary) and lined trousers but still can feel a chill when it's really cold.

Salopettes sound worth a try though.

Simon

US Extreme Cold Weather Boots, Mickey Mouse Boots, Surplus and Adventure secure online Army Surplus store, S&A

These Mickey Mouse boots were a great deal last year at £10, even at the original £24 they are more than worth every penny. Unfortunately only size 6 left. Google stockists in UK for army surplus supplies. They are great if you are observing or imaging for long periods with little activity and really worked well in the -15deg we had last winter

ps - also known as bunny boots

I bought fishing wellies for work.... Really toasty, Ron Tompson I think, have a sort of polystyrene lining .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.

Skywatcher 130. 9mm 12mm 15mm 20mm 32mm revelation eps. Meade 10 x 50 bins.

New to Winter Astronomy but my Snow hiking boots of choice are North Face ChillKats. Rated down to -25 and have a toughened platicised toe and lower so they are great in boggy terrain.

Coupled with a good pair of thermal socks, I have yet to find anything better - this includes January adventures in Vermont!

if you shop around on the web you can find them for @£50.

• 2 weeks later...
Only £3 a pair - is there any chance you can post a pair?

Me too...me too...:)

I can see a roaring trade starting up here...I'm a 32" waist and my wife is a size 12 in ski ware (to allow for layering she says...:))

Anything but day-glow accepted :)

• 2 weeks later...

One essential thing, regarding cold feet while observing on a chilly night, is not to tighten your shoes too much. You probably already use a pair of thick socks (or perhaps two) so the space in the shoe is already tight enough. Good blood circulation through your limbs means a good distribution of body heat. So loosening your shoestrings might help a lot. That is an observation I have picked up, anyway.;)

Archived