Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newtonian Wanderlust

daniel rey m.

A sense of duty brings me back to follow through on a previous discussion. In January I registered here and introduced myself. I mentioned the case of an ex classmate who's a descendant of Sir Isaac but was unable to furnish any hard facts back then and people sounded doubtful and scornful. This was discouraging.

She used to make frequent phone calls and then they stopped when she started having health problems. She went through a few operations. Her life was at risk. Making things even worse was the fact that she fell down and fractured a leg bone in two places. Then she recovered slowly. Recently I finally managed to draw her out concerning the said matter and here's what she said.

In Grenada,Yalobusha County, Mississippi, a widow called Georgiana Hull Lake married a Major James Monroe Newton. He was the editor of the village newspaper, the "Something-or-other Tribune", and he died young, at age 26, in 1842. Then she remarried. Her third husband was a Dr. Tarpley, with whom she begat eight children. She had had two with J. Newton, one of which had died.

The surviving child was Augusta Jane Newton, my friend's greatgrandmother, whose first husband was William Moody Tarpley, one of her stepfather's nephews. It was she who told my friend's mother that one of her ancestors lay buried in Westminster Abbey. Her second husband was Oswald King.

J.M. Newton's parents were John Newton and Mary Keaton from Dorchester County, Maryland (one of the original 13 colonies, in New England). Sir Isaac's brothers had emigrated to North America. That was a big surprise for me. There are now many of these Newtons in the U.S. My friend, then, is not at all exceptional.

J.M. Newton is buried in Yellow Fever Cemetery in Grenada, so called because almost everybody there died of yellow fever. Most of the people buried in that cemetery belonged to the Lake family. She visited Grenada in 2003 as part of her genealogical researches and found it to be a tiny village "in the middle of nowhere".

Saying that Sir Isaac was a Jew was a misunderstanding of hers. She now thinks that his forefathers included converted Jews.

The link between this and the twinkling heavens is weak, but less so if you appreciate history. In order to compensate I could describe elsewhere a mission to a "self-warming" planet I suggested but was ignored by the space agencies. Maybe it was too bold and imaginative for them, or just too expensive. They might've thought I was crazy.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

genealogy is a faint interest of mine, in enjoyed that read none the less :D

its a small world, i will say that and amazing to find links of interest within the family tree's

i will say this also, never be discouraged, on anything, life is short and there is much to see and do, to be discouraged would be to deny oneself the things in which one could aquire or achieve ;)

Howdy Daniel!

That's an interesting read.

To be a bit pedantic, Maryland is not in the area called New England but is, instead, one of the Southern states and most reliably called a mid-Atlantic state.

My ancestors relocated from Towcester, Nothants, to Maryland in the 1640s. I don't know if the English Civil War was a factor in their leaving Merry Olde but would not be surprised. I'd also be leery of speculating as to whether they were loyalists or parliamentarians.

Thank you all for the big re-welcoming ceremony! It was encouraging and I hope this means that at least some of you would be willing to discuss the proposed mission that was rejected. The proper place would be, I guess, the section "Science/Physics, Space Science & Theories". There's no section for space exploration.

It's puzzling, though, that two of you claim to have no idea what I was talking about, so I'll have to try and explain. When I first arrived in January I thought it was relevant to mention the fact that someone I know is part of the Newtonian Diaspora, because it was started by the brothers of someone involved in the development of celestial mechanics, and that's all there is to it.

It's Mary Koene, not Keaton. Sorry.

RabbitHutch: coincidentally, my friend is a fellow Texan of yours. Her family name is Kollmar, she was born in San Angelo and she recently moved from Amarillo to Houston. I thought the 13 colonies were New England, which only has six states, I see, and is just a tiny corner up there, but at least it's true that Maryland was one of the 13. It should've been adopted as the national lucky number, not a number everybody avoids. So why is it on the flag and the seal? The eagle is gripping 13 arrows.

Here's more gossip bearing some relevance to this website. A Graubard family both of us know also lives in Houston. One of its members is now jobless because he worked for a NASA contractor at some matter having to do with the space shuttle, which was permanently put away. His sister's husband, a Mr. Monheit, who is now in retirement, invented for the NASA a device that "squeezes" water out of Moon rocks, as my friend puts it. At my request, she asked him about it, once or twice, but he always laughed and then changed the subject, so we believe he was sworn to secrecy and has no "clearance" that would allow him to talk about the subject.

It's enough to suspect that the NASA has a secret Moon base on the far side where they're pumping large amounts of the liquid and mining gold, platinum, titanium, coltan, emeralds, sapphires….so that if the price of gold starts to go down all of a sudden, then….

Archived