Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help me spend some money!

After much deliberation, bugging Steve @ First Light Optics and listening to you guys I've come up with the following options:

Option 1

-Skywatcher Explorer 300P (EQ6 PRO)

-Evostar 80ED2 PRO

-Sell My Revelation 10" Dobsonian

Option 2

-Skywatcher Explorer 250PX (EQ6 PRO)

-Evostar 80ED2 PRO

Option 3

-EQ6 PRO Synscan

-Evostar 80ED2 PRO

-10" Tube Rings & Dovetail for 10" Revelation Dob

Option 4

-Skywatcher Explorer 200P (HEQ5 PRO)

-Evostar 80ED2 PRO

All of these options seem very good value for money and involve getting an Evostar 80ED2. The most expensive is option 1 and the cheapest option 4.

I'm very interested to hear peoples thoughts, what would you buy and why?

Many thanks for your help everyone,

Grant

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 - Just being greedy :D :D

They are my two favourites at the moment, 1 is appealing though because at the moment, I'm still living at home etc.. so bills and stuff aren't much so it might be good to get 1 whilst I have the money. It would last me forever because of the aperture and having the refractor for imaging. That way, when I do move out (hopefully soon!) I will have a great astro package to take with me...

Plus, how cool would the 12" be at the star party?

I would go with option 3 but leave your 10" as a dob. I dont think you'll gain much EQ mounting it other than back strain. The ED80/EQ6 will work as an excellent photo rig and the 10" dob will just take longer to setup as an EQ rig. I think this is option 5 that Russ would go for too!

Gordon is right, that was my Option 5

Or How about option 6:

HEQ5 Skyscan Pro with ED80 or ED100

Skyliner 12" Dob and no tube rings

sell the Rev 10"

I agree with Gordon. Big newts are best low down in their dob boxes. And even the EQ6 would not be happy about imaging with the 12".

Hmmm... thats a good option 5! :D

The reason I'm going on about having either a 10" or 12" on the EQ6 as well though is because I love visually observing and have been getting fed up recently with using the dobsonian, especially when showing other people. The views are superb but by the time somebody has looked I have to recenter it again and if your showing kids, they tend to knock it and it moves very easily. Having it mounted and tracking means I can let people queue up to take a look and I can sit back and let the mount do its thing. Plus changing eyepieces etc.. should become much easier.

I suppose in a way, I'm hedging my bets, I want the best of both worlds - imaging and observing :D

IMHO the 80ED2 Pro isn't particulary good value. If you do want an ED80 then I'd just get the OTA and rings and save ~£130.

Option 6 (if you can strech to it) EQ6, ED100 and a 12" Dob. Best of everything.....Mounting a big Newt on a GEM is a pain in the backside...

You'll need an awfully big box for the kids to reach the eyepiece. :D We found this at my local club. The observatory housed a 12" f6 newt on a EQ mount. But unless you were 6' minimum height, you simply couldn't reach the eyepiece. It meant using stepladders. The club took the decision to go with an SCT (which they partly regret).

Russ

Theres so many different options and combinations, everytime I think I've got an answer something else appears! Is it because I'm setting to broad a goal - to have an observing and imaging platform with goto? Or is it just that theres so many solutions?

I think though, the ED80 (possibly ED100 :insects1:) is a definite though, as is either a heq5 pro or eq6 pro...

If you are only mounting the ED80 then the HEQ5 will be enough (and save you some cash for a camera) but if you ARE looking at mounting a big newt (I wouldn't personally) then go for the EQ6. Hell, go for the EQ6 anyway if you can afford it as it will last you a lifetime. You'll never have to buy a new mount

How about... option 6 ("S@d the money" option)

-Keep 10" Rev for star parties or viewing stuff while imaging with the other beast

-Buy EQ6 Pro

-Buy 12" Skyliner Dob

-Buy 6" triplet APO w/ HEQ5 w/ GOTO

:D

Matt

I wish the budget was that big!! :D

I'm pretty much decided I want to stay away from dobsonian mounts because I want the tracking and stability of a gem...

Why do you say the 80ED2 is poor value Gaz? I would want the finder and a 2" diagonal, plus the metal case would be handy so all of that for £130 doesn't seem that bad value? I suppose if you already had those other bits its cheaper just to get the OTA but when you need them....

This may have already been said.

But I would be caught between two options...

C9.25 (or maybe a C8 with Faststar), but that is £1450 with a CG5 mount. Don't like the mount but it's £1399 as OTA.

OR

Keep the 10" DOB, and but a EQ6 skyscan and get an ED80 or ED100.

Following this route you could get a pair of tube rings, and put the 10" on the EQ6.

EQ6 Skyscan from FLO is just over £900 (with SGL discount)

ED80Pro1 from FLO is £265 (with SGl Discount)

So for around £1150 quid you get

EQ6 Skyscan

10" F4(?)

ED80

Ant

The deed is done, I've just ordered from Steve an EQ6 Pro and an ED80... I'm also picking up from outlash his 10" tube rings at the star party :D

Excited here now!!!

FWIW I'd go for an EQ6 with a big Newt for visual and an ED80 for imaging. 'Horses for courses' as they say....

Commission? <AHEM!!> Wheres my cut?

I think Gordon suggested the same as well.... :D :D

:D

Thanks to everyone for all your help in choosing, hopefully there will be some of you willing to show me how it all works at the star party when I pick it up! Thanks also to Steve for spending time to talk through all the options :D

Roll on the star party!

Archived