Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing sessions

onesmallstep

Hi

I'd like to know what members think of / want from observing sessions. Initially I'm suggesting arranging two consecutive nights - a Friday and Saturday - and meeting up on one of them, the second being a back-up in case of bad weather. Just a suggestion but the meetings can start off as general observing sessions until the group gets established and then see what observing / imaging interests the members have and adapt to suit.

Comments and feedback welcome. Could members include their observing interests, equipment lists and any other relevant info about themselves just so we can get a rough idea of numbers, etc. My own interests are general observing, all targets, plus special events such as meteor showers, lunar / solar eclipses, and satellite spotting.

Thanks.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John

I've never attended one of these events before so don't really know what to expect. A bt of general observing would work well for me but if anyone has any particular interest that they could share I'm sure that would be appreciated too. Being relatively inexperienced, any help/advice is always welcome.

Garry

As a newbie getting into this hobby I would like to get as much time as possible amongst the more knowledgable people out there so therefore think these sessions would be great.

Personally speaking, I am due to get my first scope by the end of the week and although Ive read plenty of helpful posts on here on how to do things I think more practical 'hands on' stuff would also help my learning.

I would echo what's said above and what I would like to get out of an observing session would be

obtaining a greater knowledge of the night sky (my back garden in built up stevenage isnt going to be the best location for observing)

general observing, meteor showers, eclipses etc

and generally just getting tips tricks and ideas from those more experienced.

Are you thinking of just an informal gathering of poeple turning up at a suitable location on a set date/time or something tied into one of the local associations?

If this has legs and looks like there would be enough people up for a observing session every so often I would definatley be interested in attending.

My Interests are very similar to yours John.

I would be bringing my

200P on NEQ6

My 15x70 celestrons (tripod mounted) and 7x50 Helios tripod mounted.

Thats enough to get a few people going.

I do Image, but would not do that until later on, Jupiter is nice at the moment as we all know.

Jason

hi all as im a newbie aswell id just like to try a bit of everything and take it from there.only had my scope out twice :rolleyes: but looking forward to meeting a few people with the same intrests will encorage me to bring it out more.

ive got a sw 150p

oooh +1 for me too !!

I'd definitely be interested in a meet up. I'm mainly back garden based at the moment with relatively limited views of the sky, so would love the opportunity to take my scope on a trip to somewhere new. And to have people to chat to about my hobby (...obsession...;) ) would be an excellent bonus.

I'd be bringing along:

-Celestron 6SE SCT Scope (plus powerpack, dew shield, various eyepieces, plus binoviewers)

-Binoculars 15x70

Fab, hope we can organise something soon.

Matsey :rolleyes:

After managing to get my scope out last night for an hour I so I quickly realised that I could certainly do with a much better viewing location than my back garden. Other houses, streetlights, electricity pylons, easyjets, ryanair and wizzairs all over the place certainly restrict what I can see from my place.

I think even taking the kit over to fairlands valley would be better than trying to do anything from my back garden

I was up at Ashridge woods over the weekend, next to the visitor centre they have a large open field which in my opinion would be pretty perfect for an observing session. the site is raised above surrounding villages. also the surrounding trees should help block out any LP without obstructing viewing, just an idea

Hi All

I'm a complete beginner to astronomy. I was given a Celestron astromaster 114 eq for my birthday in September and I have had a wonderful time discovering the wonders of the night sky in my back garden (although with quite a limited field of view)

I live up north in Barnsley - but I travel extensively for work during the week. What with the recent cloudy weather and being away from home all week I have found opportunities to get my scope out few and far between.

I am working in Stevenage all week this week and I am bringing my kit down with me in the car.

Can anyone recommend anywhere around the Stevenage area which is dark enough - but not too ropey from a safety point of view for a lone observer?

Hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread - but I thought I would ask as you seem to be discussing sites within this approximate area.

Many Thanks guys :)

Dave

Davee, I was thinking of wandering over to Fairlands Valley but it could be affected by the floodlights at Valley Sports centre (and Broadhall Way if there's a game on) so o nsecond thougths it might not be quite suitable.

I was also thinking of driving out Walkern/Cottered direction (there was a UFO sighting out that way a month or so ago by a BBC reporter) lots of fields and country roads but nowhere big enough to gather a group from what Ive seen so far.

Hi Davee, welcome to SGL.

As you can see by our threads we are currently looking for suitable sites for group observing sessions. Are you around on Saturday evening as I am a member of several astro groups including Letchworth & District AS who are holding a public star party at their observing site at Standalone Farm in Letchworth which isn't too far from Stevenage. Website@ www.ldas.org.uk.

HTH!

Thanks for the welcome :)

Onesmallstep - No I am down tomorrow and back up home on Friday. Thanks for the information though. I'm actually working in Letchworth so that would have been brilliant if only it was during the week - I have never been to a star party and it sounds very cool!! There are several astro societies near me but they all seem to meet in the week while I am away :evil6: - that and when I'm home at the weekend I have to prioritise time with my family as I have a wife a 3 year old daughter.

Daz1974 / Neil1194 - Thanks for the ideas. I will have a look on Google maps around those locations.

Thanks again :)

Davee

Hi Guys

Count me in as I'm a beginner wanting to know more, tips tricks etc...

As of most here I also just look at anything of interest at the time.

I have a skywatcher Skymax 180 pro and are currently waiting HEQ5 pro mount in the next few weeks ahead.

Live in Luton area and would be very interested in meeting and observing nights local.

: Andy.

I Think I have finally found a good site. Wrest park in Silsoe. Its quite dark, no surrounding lights and its far enough out of the way to have problematic light pollution. There is even a near by pub :)

The good thing about this site is I am sure its a public place and there is a fair amount of parking so you dont have the carry loads of eq to the location. ALso its not remote and one of my worries was being to far away from anywhere just incase things all go wrong.

Drove down there tonight but was cloudy, but I remember going there before and it does get nice and dark.

If its nice next Thursday and if anyone is free, may be worth a visit.

Jason

Archived