Narrowband

Observing sessions

onesmallstep

Hi Andy

You could park your car right next to your scope. There is plenty of room around the pavillion

Hi Gibbo

Thanks for that info..

I've currently only got a cig lighter cable that came with my mount, not sure how long or good it is as I haven't tried it. Guess I should before taking the effort to load everything in the car.! Would make sense..

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have any idea about this place ?

Norton

North Herts/Beds area.

Not sure if it is private, or car access, or how to get to it.

Actually no idea what it is, found it when looking for places to take a mountain bike on google maps.

If it comes up as the road variant change to satellite.

Zoom out a couple of times.

I think that's the stables down by Norton, doubt we'd be able to observe there as I believe that is all private land around there.

If you go down Norton Road into the opposite direction onto Wilbury road you'll get to Standalone farm where LDAS have their base.

Stables are over the bridge over the A1 further towards the edge of Letchworth, you go over the bridge to get to the back of Baldock. The stables are on the Baldock side of the A1.

I assume that you cannot use the LDAS location, otherwise you end up with 2 astronomy groups competing in one location.

There is a community/village hall at Cottered between Baldock and Buntingford, that has a car park and there are no street lights there. 2 problems are that the car park is not level and there are quite a few youths ambling around there looking pretty bored.

RSPB place at Hoddeston, Rye Meads, has a fair car park but it is in a lit up area. Could be worth looking at the Herts/Essex reserve that is sort of atached. Seem to recall a car park of some size in that bit. Access may be via the A414 between the A10 and Harlow. There is also in the area the top end of the Lee Valley park.

Dobbs Weir Rd part of Lea valley park seems to have a car park area that looks possible, opposite some buildngs on the eastern bit of the road.

DWRoad

• 2 weeks later...

Odd option but has anyone looked at the bridges over the newish bit of the A10 between Stondon and Ware?

Seem to be 5 if I recall from the trip a few days back, most look as if they are for access to the other side of the A10 so very quiet, there are no lights on them or on the A10.

The Northern most one seems to lead to a small set of units which could means that in the evening people go and it is deserted with no through traffic.

Access would be from the old A10 which I think is now the A1178.

• 4 weeks later...

Right with 2013 near us , I plan to make an effort to try and get us some observing in. Keith what do you say ? Problem is at the moment im working 1 in 3 weekends in the Evenings. Its a Pain :(

I really want to get some observing in soon however.

J

I would be bang up for an observing session sometime soon. It's been far too long.

I cant remember the last time I used my scope, and last night I actually went through youtube re-watching the help vids on how to setup my goto as due to the length of inactivity i had completely forgot the long/lat and DST stuff.

Are any of you planning on coming down to the LDAS Stargazing Live event? Last year's one was really good, hoping the new regime can put on an equally good one this year

The LDAS event information seems to be last years, not this years.

The link is to the 2012 Star Gazing Live and there is nothing about the 2013 event.

No dates and no location.

As it is Jan 3 now it would appear that they are not holding anything as they have a week more or less to organise and therefore less time to get it advertised.

The LDAS event information seems to be last years, not this years.

The link is to the 2012 Star Gazing Live and there is nothing about the 2013 event.

No dates and no location.

As it is Jan 3 now it would appear that they are not holding anything as they have a week more or less to organise and therefore less time to get it advertised.

I had an email from the new chairman over Christmas saing they are planning an event to be held in Letchworth on 11th or 12th Jan and were looking for volunteers. I responded saying that I'd be happy to bring my scope and participate. Had a reply saying thanks and that I'd be added to the list, but havent heard anything since.

Its a shame if nothing is done, as last year's event at ST Chris' was really well organised, and well attended.

Have to say that Ive not been a particularly active member over the last year and Im not entirely impressed with the direction LDAS are now taking and doubt I'll be renewing my membership for the forthcoming year.

Letchworth is often a bit odd, their imaging section meet over at a pub in Watton which seems odd. I occasionally think of joining simply to have a monthly planned observing session organised. Sort of join, grab scope, put in car, drive over, do some observing, put scope back in car, drive home.

Daz, on the subject of a get together I thought I had managed to locate a good place today for Stevenage/Hitchin/Letchworth. Maybe a bit far for Luton etc.

The "old" road from Wymondley to Letchworth has a turn off to "Wymondley Woods".

There is a car park down there and very little if any lights around.

The problem is that the car park is closed at either 8:00pm or 9:00pm.

No-one actually closes the gate or locks up but an automatic bollard comes up and blocks entry in or out.

You cannot squeeze a car past it.

The notice says a £30 release fee.

The location looks good, and if say 3 or 4 cars then you could park on the gravelled access road and put the scopes up inside the car park area.

Suppose if anyone preferred then you could park up along the first part of the access road and not bother the drive down to the car park, it is pretty wide and easy to do so.

There are 2 houses built down the access and I suppose they could get a bit concerned by cars driving past them late at night.

If you get the chance have a drive along the road and drive down to the car park, could be worth a look.

Google Map

Seems to be one of the better places I have seen for a Stevenage based get together.

Archived