Observing sessions

onesmallstep

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

Obsy sessions sound like a good idea. Is it best to fix certain days such as Friday and Saturday evenings so that we have a back-up session in case Friday is clouded out. If both evenings are fine then we use both and members turn up to whichever one suits?

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

First post for me! Bought my 150p last xmas, and loving it, but still have lots to learn. Got myself a webcam, and have attempted to get a few images of saturn and mars, but not looking too great.

To be honest, the scope has been packed away over the summer (lots of reasons!), and I'm desperate to get it out and start getting involved again.

I would love to meet up with some more experienced gazers for some advice to see if i'm doing things correct, and got all the right kit.

So, I'm well up for a meet up, I'm just south of Bedford so can get to most places in the beds / herts area easily, just not too sure of any good dark sites.

Like the idea of choosing two days such as Friday and a Saturday for backup.

Thanks,

Andrew :grin:

Ok, so I've just found out my neighbour has a couple of canon DSLRs, I’ve ordered a t ring adaptor and the book Make Every Photon Count, so getting quite excited now about getting my scope out and getting some nice pics!

If only the clouds would disappear!

Would love to meet up with some more experienced people. Shall we agree a place and date?

I like the sound of Wrest Park, although never been there.

How about Friday 16th November (or 17th November as a back up)?

Ta,

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Sounds like a good idea.?

But like you I've never been there and I'm not sure if its ok just to turn out of the blue.?

My trouble at the moment is I don't have any kind of power tank but do have a cig lighter connection that came with my HEQ5 mount and never tried. So if it was possible to just turn up I would need to be close to the car to work. Wonder if this is possible.?

Regards Andy

Hi all,

been keeping a tab on your conversations and been reading with great interest.

i too am a back garden novice and would enjoy the company of anyone that knows what their talking about. :smiley:

I've had my scope for a couple of years now, but unfortunatly i've not had much chance of getting out with it much.

I did take a trip up to Ashridge one evening, although the area is out the way, high up and ha no street lights i found that we were getting a fair bit of LP from surrounding towns.

if you were to head out then it would have to be a very clear night as the clouds were reflecting the light some what. but there are plenty of areas in ashridge that give you good access and parking, Ashridge monument is one of them.

I've been looking at Toddington. heading up from Hockliffe there are some playing fields that could be interesting. if i can i;ll try and get out there tonight as its a clear night.

i've been up there before and the Milky way was fairly visible..... just a thought.

Hi guys

I would not just turn up at Wrest park. It is private property and the security team there will turn you away

However all is not lost. I have a special arrangement with English Heritage who have allowed me (and people I bring along) use of the pavilion area for the purpose of star gazing. A couple of the other guys on here and I have tried a couple of times to meet up but the weather always let us down. If people are interested in meeting up then we could arrange an evening in the near future.

Let me know what you think

Keith

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Hi guys

I would not just turn up at Wrest park. It is private property and the security team there will turn you away

However all is not lost. I have a special arrangement with English Heritage who have allowed me (and people I bring along) use of the pavilion area for the purpose of star gazing. A couple of the other guys on here and I have tried a couple of times to meet up but the weather always let us down. If people are interested in meeting up then we could arrange an evening in the near future.

Let me know what you think

Keith

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Keith

What's the situation like for me not having a power tank and being able to setup close to the car.?

Archived