Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing sessions

onesmallstep

By pure coincidence I received this late this afternoon from LDAS chairman:

We now have confirmation that we can go ahead with the event in Howard Park, in Letchworth, on Saturday 12 January 2013. We will be using the ground floor room in the Elizabeth Howard Hall for talks and refreshments, and the hard standing area in the park for the telescopes- see the attached for an outline of the site.

So, though we have a few already, we will need more volunteers. We need members to help with greeting visitors, pointing them to the hall, indicating the way to the viewing area, manning scopes (if you can bring one great, and we will aim to bring a couple from the observatory), provide support by the display boards, refreshments etc. As we are holding the event once the tv programmes are finished, if the weather is good, we could get loads of people come along. For me the most important thing will be to talk to the visitors, so the more members we have the better. Remember, you don't need to be an expert astronomer to help!

It does seem a bit late notice and I doubt there'll be the same response there was last year for the SGL even at St Chris', that was quite heavily promoted IIRC, but I'll take my scope along and hope for a clear night, although being in the heart of letchworth town with quite a built up skyline and plenty of streetlights doesnt really lead to great observing conditions.

I know where you mean in Wymondly but Im afraid I may not have chance to get up there to have a look as Im about to move out of Stevenage and moving up to Clifton up by Henlow/Shefford by the end of the month. There are a few spots around the village that look ok for observing so im hoping to check them out once we're settled in the new place.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am currently trying to negotiate some land in harpenden if that's any good for anyone ? My conditions are safe and secure with parking and good a good dark site.

Let me know whos interested and this will help

I am currently trying to negotiate some land in harpenden if that's any good for anyone ? My conditions are safe and secure with parking and good a good dark site.

Let me know whos interested and this will help

Sounds really good to me!!!

Ok so I've been allocated some space on a farm track. One of my requests was it not on grass/ mud so our scopes don't sink. So looks like we have a safe off road reasonably dark place to use. I'm going to see it at the weekend. There will be some minor cost, but what are we thinking ? I know what associations cost. But there is none around that allow you to use land whenever you like. Thoughts ? As I'm going to see him Sunday.

Jason

Good work mate, nice one. Are you coming to the LDAS session in Letchworth tomorrow? Cant see us being able to do much observing, weather is looking rough.

Do you have a google maps location for your new site so I can see how far it will be from my new place?

I've not been to one so no idea what the norm is but whereas I expect to make a contribution, it in my opion must be a reasonable amount. I have done other hobbies that involve farmers land like metal detecting and shooting etc and would hope that a small group of people standing on a path for a few hours at night and leaving no sign of them being there would not cost to much. I'm sure whatever money the farmer gets would go into his pocket for beer money rather than through the books :)

I might also have an option but need to see what you guys class as a dark sky around here before I suggest it otherwise its just a waste of time.

John

I dont expect to pay much, but considering it will be a relativley safe enviroment not in a public car park et. remember most peoples kit can cost hundreds if not thousands. We would have access when we want and there will be a locked gate ( I hope ) I too use another field for flying and that does cost quite a bit a year. However we wont be using Land as such so there is no disadvantage to the farmers crops etc.

Ive got to make it worth his while even bothering to give me the code etc but im willing to pay a "small" annual fee considering there literally is no where else to go, unless you come up with something.

Jason

Met with the farmer today and it wasn't really suitable. I explained what we need and he said what you need is a huge slab on concrete in the middle of a field. He gets the idea. I've also advised him what to expect when it comes to costs. I basically told him how much an average association membership costs and advised that includes a lot more. I don't want to upset him as he seems pretty willing to help.

He's going to carry on and see what land he can come up with and let me know.

Thanks Jason. I was driving home from Bristol last week and stopped at a dark roadside. The difference at a dark location is so amazing so would be great to find somewhere. What about St. Albans rugby club? don't know if they ever shut off the lights there in off hours overnight. Is out of the way and lots of concrete! Plenty of parking.

Not sure where that is ? I am wondering if I should approach the council again and see if they have any ideas. Didnt have any luck last time however.

Maybe we should all email the council ? or put a collective request through. Not sure how or if that would work.?

Jason

Looking at the light pollution maps of the UK it looks like our closest Bortle 3 to 4 'ish sites would be the zone between Luton and Stevenage and stretching south. There must be somewhere in the vicinity of Ayot St Lawrence or similar that could be found. That's fairly central for many in Herts. I don't live in that area and have only been out to visit Shaw's Corner on occasions, but expect it would be good. Not pitch dark, but a massive difference to our Bortle 6 or 7's closer to the M1 and A1.

• 2 weeks later...

I know! I suppose I'm being lazy and not checking out things but who wants to go out driving on cold nights?! You suggested a park for a Messier Marathon on another post. Is that not that dark?

No Mans Land Common on Ferrers Lane between Wheathampstead and Sandridge? I'm only looking at aerial photo but there is a small parking lot and plenty of surrounding fields and trees. I will try to drive past there soon.

Archived