NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bubble Nebula with Atik 314L & Evostar 80ED

Steve

Another one from last Friday at the Norman Lockyer Observatory using the Atik 314L+ and Evostar 80ED.

Unfortunately things didn't go quite as planned! I thought I had bagged several hours of the bubble in Ha but looking at the files today most are less than 700k, not the 2,800k I was expecting!? I am not sure where I went wrong. Perhaps I mistakenly grabbed images from the Titan which was being used for guiding. I'll be more careful next time! :)

Anyhow, I have achieved 17x 3-min subs from the 314L+, which is enough to produce an image :)

I'll definitely revisit this target but I'll be after more subs of longer exposures, I'll also try some OIII.

Thank-you James for stacking and processing this one, I'll be more independent when I have CCDStack and Photoshop.

Evostar 80ED

Baader Steeltrack focuser

HEQ5 PRO mount

Atik 314L+ for imaging

Atik Titan for guiding

Atik OAG off-axis-guider

Atik EFW2 filter wheel

Baader filters

Beginners luck

post-18597-133877673938_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank-you for your comments ;)

Maybe you binned the images 2x2 - that would reduce the file size?!?

I think you are right, I switched to binning when checking focus, I must have forgotten to switch back :)

I can see more data in that image to be squeezed.....

There is, but there is more noise too :D

The image was made with only 17x 3-min subs. I messed up the rest! I'll be more adventurous when I have more subs.

It's very good. Ha really responds to looooong subs if your guiding can deliver...

Olly

Thank-you, I'll try that :D

My thinking on the night was most images of the Bubble have a burnt out hi-light inside the Bubble. So I figured it was better to have lots of relatively short subs (to preserve the hilights) then stretch the image for the faint stuff. If I hadn't messed up so many of the subs I might have succeeded :D

is this a crop or a full size image from your atik 314L+?

Full size, other than say 30 pixels or so to allow for drift between subs. No reducer was used.

I like this - Interested whether you used and darks and / or flats.

No darks or flats.

I did make some darks a few days later but they weren't used. I put the camera in the fridge to achieve the same set-point temperature. My wife found me sat in a chair facing the fridge with a laptop in my lap and cables poking out from the side of the fridge door. She gave me one of those looks. I explained the camera was in the fridge so I could collect images while it was cold. "Images of what?" she said. "Nothing" I replied, "the lens cap is on". She paused, looked at me sideways, then set-about making breakfast...

She thinks I'm odd :D

Thank-you for your comments

I did make some darks a few days later but they weren't used. I put the camera in the fridge to achieve the same set-point temperature. My wife found me sat in a chair facing the fridge with a laptop in my lap and cables poking out from the side of the fridge door. She gave me one of those looks. I explained the camera was in the fridge so I could collect images while it was cold. "Images of what?" she said. "Nothing" I replied, "the lens cap is on". She paused, looked at me sideways, then set-about making breakfast...

She thinks I'm odd :)

LOL!

Visionaries are never understood in their time...

Archived