Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My powered hub - I need a longer cable!

swag72

Only the second outing in my obs, so some teething problems are coming to light, mostly concerning cables!

I have a powered hub, but the USB cable from the hub to the PC isn't long enough. I have looked on ebay and see thatt here is 2m and 5m cables.

Would either of these be OK or is there a maximum / optimum length of cable from a powered hub to the PC?

Excellent, thanks for the replies folks - Have just ordered a Belkin cable off the Bay, should be with me in a few days - Cable issue will be sorted, almost - Just need to find some sticky back velcro out here now!!

I have a 20m Active USB cable that I got from Amazon and use it occasionally from my scope setup (and the powered hub out there) to my living room when I need to be in and can't stay out with the scope. Even at that distance the active cable works great - no drops of cameras, scope, filter wheel from the hub or computer. I don't always use it as I prefer to be out with the scope under the stars, but when I need to be in I am glad I have the cable.

Active extender cables are magic - I tend to use one when out imaging and observing - the imaging rig is usually about 10 metres away so that I can't disturb it and everything else is at a little table near my visual scope :rolleyes:

James

USB Cables, USB Adapters, USB to SATA, Express Cards, Hard Drive Enclosure - USBNow.co.uk has cheap active long USB cables.

If you go to an telescope shop you will get ripped off.. AVOID them :rolleyes:

Astronomiser -> 5m USB 2.0 Active Repeater Extension Cable ASTUSBX5 £23.95

USB Now -> £10.20

www.usbnow.co.uk/Cables-USB_Cables/c1_2/p1600/5M_(NEC_Chipset)_Active_Extension_Cable/product_info.html

Or perhaps I should get into the SpaceMonsterCable business too ;)

I am sure everybody here will say Space USB Cables are special... but each to their own :o Everybody likes to feel special :mad:

Archived