Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade SWA vs Baader Hyperion

crazyjedi

I already have a happy relationship with Meade 5000 plossl EP's and a TV Radian that I love.

I'm now keen on getting a wide angle lens 68 degree FOV or more. I've been kindly offered a 20mm Meade SWA at a reasonable price that i will snap up when my funds are in order.

BUT - for the next buy i want a lower power (maybe 24-30mm) EP but preferably in a 1.25 inch format.

Now a TV Panoptic is rather pricey (but still a dream) but do i go for the Meade 24mm SWA or try out the Baader Hyperion 24mm??:p

Anyone with experience of both to give a direct comparison?

Who votes Meade and who votes Baader?

Any help in my ponderings greatly appreciated :)

Hi Rob. I have owned the 24mm Hyperion and from memory it was just ok in my scope's. If your scope is the 150p at f5 i would suggest the Meade as it will be slightly corrected. If you are using the 150pl at f8 the Hyperion would work just as well i would imagine.

Not owned any Hyperions but I'm quite happy with my 24mm Meade SWA in my f4.5 Dob - the view wasn't perfect at the edges but i couldn't detect anything much in the way of aberrations other than the scope's own coma. In fact I used to own the 16, 20 & 24mm but decided to sell on the 20mm as it didn't get used being too small a step in between - something you may wish to consider if getting the 24mm.

. If your scope is the 150p at f5 i would suggest the Meade as it will be slightly corrected. If you are using the 150pl at f8 the Hyperion would work just as well i would imagine.

Yeah my scope is the f5 150p.

Sounds like maybe i should save up for the Meade SWA then. :)

Does this equate at slightly longer focal lengths? (Sorry to butt in!)

I'm weighing up Aspheric 36mm, Aero 35mm, 5000 SWA 34mm

Yes that's a good question. I'd only restricted the focal length due to my desire to stick to the 1.25inch format. But i guess we could ask if the majority think Meade are superior generally across the whole range of SWA's compared to Baader's similar offerings or if it is preferable to cherry pick the best EP's from any given brand (of similar prices)

On the longer focal length issue, don't forget that you need to keep the exit pupil a realistic size if you are to get the most from your aperture. To me, in an F/5 scope, that means 30mm max and ideally a little less.

On the longer focal length issue, don't forget that you need to keep the exit pupil a realistic size if you are to get the most from your aperture. To me, in an F/5 scope, that means 30mm max and ideally a little less.

Good point :)

Yes very true. I'm sticking to the 1.25inch format currently because my filters are all in this size and there aren't many EP's in the 1.25inch format that get any longer than 30mm.

Check out astroshop.eu - I've just picked up a 5000 SWA 28mm for €109 ?!?!?! They have the 16, 20 and 24 in 1.25 fitment. (28, 34 and 40 in 2")

Green-witch want £209 for it ........

:)

Check out astroshop.eu - I've just picked up a 5000 SWA 28mm for €109 ?!?!?! They have the 16, 20 and 24 in 1.25 fitment. (28, 34 and 40 in 2")

Green-witch want £209 for it ........

Yes I've been on their site. They do look very reasonable. They will been my port of call if i don't find a good second hand bargain. What were their postal charges like to the UK?:(

at the risk of sounding like a broken Televue record, I'd save a little longer and buy a used 24mm Panoptic. This provides the max field in a 1.25" format, will be great to f4 and also has a decent exit pupil. ticks all the boxes for maybe an extra £50. no doubts on resaleability either. it's one of the few eyepieces I regret letting go.

I preferred the Meade 24 SWA to the Panoptic 24. I'll readilly admit that at F5 and less, the 24 Pan is sharper at the edge on bright stars, but there was something about the "feel" of the Meade view that I preferred. Plus, the Pan's field-stop was vignetted in two of my scopes, whilst the Meade's is sharp.

The Meade 24 SWA is my most widely-used eyepiece.

at the risk of sounding like a broken Televue record, I'd save a little longer and buy a used 24mm Panoptic. This provides the max field in a 1.25" format, will be great to f4 and also has a decent exit pupil. ticks all the boxes for maybe an extra £50. no doubts on resaleability either. it's one of the few eyepieces I regret letting go.

The 24mm TV pan is very highly regarded and is touted by some as the best low power EP in 1.25inch. However They're very pricey and only rarely seen on the second hand market and usually at inflated prices. If I were a little better off I'd certainly be buying one. But if Great Bear says that the Meade SWA compares well with the Pan from experience, I think I'll probably end up with the Meade, even if I do love the TV EP's I've tried.

All 24mm EPs have the same size exit pupil, so I don't know what you mean?

I was referring to the 24-30mm range mentioned originally and the 28mm mentioned later.

for me at f5, anything over about 25mm is pushing the exit pupil size a bit. of course you are right that all 24mm eyepieces have the same exit pupil in the same scope.

Yes I've been on their site. They do look very reasonable. They will been my port of call if i don't find a good second hand bargain. What were their postal charges like to the UK?:)

Something like £9 IIRC, it also looks like it will be here tomorrow (48 hours after I ordered it.)

I was referring to the 24-30mm range mentioned originally and the 28mm mentioned later.

for me at f5, anything over about 25mm is pushing the exit pupil size a bit. of course you are right that all 24mm eyepieces have the same exit pupil in the same scope.

Yes I'd tend to agree with you, which I was why Is specified 24mm when I posted this question originally. I Thought it would be the optimal deep field EP length for my scope :)

Archived