Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pictures on Sky at Night

george7378

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You retain the copyright but if you read the T&Cs you give them a non-exclusive license to do whatever they want with the image even if they don't use it on the programme. They can sell it, make posters out of it, give it away etc etc and in return you might get featured for a few seconds. Sounds like a great deal for them, but they aren't the only ones doing it, 90%+ of magazines and TV rely on free images from joe bloggs, it improves their profits no end.

You retain the copyright but if you read the T&Cs you give them a non-exclusive license to do whatever they want with the image even if they don't use it on the programme. They can sell it, make posters out of it, give it away etc etc.

Ohhh thats bad lol

I wouldn't put my best image up there, at least not in reproducible print form lol

It is bascially like iReporter on CNN, cheap labour and stories (for free) lol.

I bet you cannot even get a slice of their profits as you signed that right to them by submitting the image.

Wow, I can't believe that so many people wouldn't be prepared to donate a single bit of data to such a great cause? I personally wouldn't care how much money they made from it if they're giving me a chance to have my photo shown on such a great programme. I don't take pictures with the thought of how much money they're going to make me - I want to share them. People who post theirs on here are hardly keeping them safe.

The same goes for facebook. Any images that you upload on that website is owned by facebook.

Exactly! I know where I would rather put my images paid or not! S@N is what has kept me interested for years!

I couldn't believe I was published once and on the cover disc another time.

TBH If I saw they had sold the image and made posters out of it I would be damn proud! :)

The same goes for facebook. Any images that you upload on that website is owned by facebook.

Actually that is not true, they even state that themselves... Please go read Facebook's FAQ.

I read it... here let me read it for you...

"Do I retain the copyright and other legal rights to material I upload to Facebook? Yes, you retain the copyright to your content. When you upload your content, you grant us a license to use and display that content. For more information please visit our Statement of Rights and Responsibilities, which contain information about intellectual property, as well as your privileges and responsibilities as a Facebook user."

Don't forget Facebook in Europe is in Ireland, EU LAWS apply.

Also that is how FB is being forced to follow the law :) Europe vs Facebook is currently a GO :)

1. Sharing Your Content and Information
    You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings. In addition:

1. For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.
    2. When you delete IP content, it is deleted in a manner similar to emptying the recycle bin on a computer. However, you understand that removed content may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time (but will not be available to others).
    3. When you use an application, your content and information is shared with the application. We require applications to respect your privacy, and your agreement with that application will control how the application can use, store, and transfer that content and information. (To learn more about Platform, read our Privacy Policy and Platform Page.)
    4. When you publish content or information using the Public setting, it means that you are allowing everyone, including people off of Facebook, to access and use that information, and to associate it with you (i.e., your name and profile picture).
    5. We always appreciate your feedback or other suggestions about Facebook, but you understand that we may use them without any obligation to compensate you for them (just as you have no obligation to offer them).

When you remove your FB account OR content they cannot use your images...
      FB is currently being investigated in Europe, they will end up following the law of Europe (they wont leave Ireland, too much saving in tax :happy1: )
      Also watermark your images over the KEY parts of the image so it is basically unusable for commercial reproduction.
      Watch Facebook's terms and conditions and "behaviours" change once the Data protection officer gets done investigating them.

Congratulations George, I have had two of my images published in the S@N CD cover disc and am very pleased for them to use them as they see fit. The main pleasure I get from my images is showing them to friends, family and my students. If my images help to spark interest in astronomy and science, then to my mind there is no greater reward. I have no commercial interest in them what so ever.

Congratulations George, I have had two of my images published in the S@N CD cover disc and am very pleased for them to use them as they see fit. The main pleasure I get from my images is showing them to friends, family and my students. If my images help to spark interest in astronomy and science, then to my mind there is no greater reward. I have no commercial interest in them what so ever.

Cool thanks, don't mind if I download and print your images onto Canvas's and then sell them :)

Or use them in my raunchy advertising on dating sites.

Cool thanks, don't mind if I download and print your images onto Canvas's and then sell them :)

Or use them in my raunchy advertising on dating sites.

I fear that if I used my astro images on a dating site, it would put women off as I would been seen as a geek and that they would know that I would spend many nights outside in the cold!

Your welcome to use miy astro-images on your dataing site, let us know what happens:)

Archived