grrrr batteries!!!

Dell

ok, i think its about time i distanced myself from AA batteries! every time i come to setup my scope, i set it up, align it, view 1 object then ****! batteries flat! lol its driving me bonkers!!!!

ive already had to tape up the electrical connectors due to them being cheap n nasty and having a tendency to just switch off every 2 seconds (normally after youve spent half hour setting up and aligning it!

anyone have any spare battery tanks going begging!? lol

excuse the rant, i've just gone a setup nice n early only for the batteries to die after alignment grrrrrrr!!!!!!

anyone else have this problem?

think i need shares in duracel!

scopes a skywatcher 127 synscan AZ goto.

Dell

You need a powertank or a mains adapter. Maplins have both for about £30 each. Depends on where you want to use the scope. If it's always ar home just get a mains adapter and a RCD for when it gets coverd in dew ! If you travel to dark sites without power get a powertank. What the heck...get both !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I sometimes use 12v from car or 12v 18Ah SLA UltraMax leisure battery but mostly Pack of 10 x reachargeable AA batteries. The first 2 options are fine but it involves leads that are a devil in the dark to stop snagging and disconnecting power midstream. Sound familiar? I attach battery pack to mount so no leads involved. Use either tape or Velcro. Batteries last about 3 hrs at between 14v and 12.5v before needing recharge.

I'm, primarily a back garden observer so I use a 12v mains power supply. I purchased an orange Master plug extension lead for use outside from B&Q and an RCD, I hard wired one end of the ext lead into the RCD which then plugs into the socket in my garage. For added protection and peace of mind, the 12v lead that plugs into the socket on the other end is going to be covered with this....(see link below), It should arrive today. I could of made a home made version using a plastic sandwich box but couldn't be asked lol.

chainsaw.tv: garden: Masterplug Outdoor Power SPTO-MS Splash-Proof 1-Socket Socket Cover (Orange)

Yeah the Maplin 3-in-1 jumpstarter is the way to go IMHO. Every now and then they have them on offer at £20 but you've just missed the last promotion... Has a 12v 17Ah gel battery in it. Not the best build quality, but great value...

Yeah the Maplin 3-in-1 jumpstarter is the way to go IMHO. Every now and then they have them on offer at £20 but you've just missed the last promotion... Has a 12v 17Ah gel battery in it. Not the best build quality, but great value...

A gel battery in a car emergency starter? I very much doubt that. Gel batteries cost a lot more than lead-acid, and are over-spec'd for emergency jump-start use but perfect for driving a golf buggy, mobility scooter, or telescope mount.

I am in the process of replacing the 12v lead-acid battery in my Maplins 5-in-1 power tank with an equivalent gel battery, cost for the battery alone is going to be about £40 but should serve me well.

According to what I've read the lead-acid batteries are very easy to trash - they must not be discharged below 50% and need to be charged regularly even if not used (they were designed for use in cars where they get continually charged when the engine is running, with sudden bursts for starting and headlights etc).

To the best of my knowledge nobody makes a power tank with a gel battery inside, that's why I'm going to make my own out of my old 5-in-1 which by the looks of things has bit the dust.

If you bought the Maplins 5-in-1 for about £30 (if it's on special offer) or even £50, and a 12v 17Ah gel battery for £40, you've still saved money and should have a much better battery than if you'd bought a Celestron / Skywatcher power tank. A special charger is required for gel batteries though, these cost about £30 and are usually available from the same retailer as the battery.

Archived