Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Clear skies + 1hr set up = thick fog!

Johnboy2011

Lots of fog low down at the moment, but Jupy high in the sky is quite clear. Of course, fog low down means light is much more dispersed from the streetlights (and there are plenty of those in Poole!). However, on the basis that any image of Jupiter is better than no image of Jupiter ... Currently capturing number 5 ...

It was sort of nice for me tonight from around 10 till half 10 then this sort of fog kept lowin in but annoyingly it kept leaving tantalising gaps in the sky of where I was imaging all the time :p. Ah well. Don't worry it happens to all of us:)

Sent from my Now working iPhone using Tapatalk

Shouldn't rub it in... but it's really nice and clear here in Stevenage

Sorry ! :p

It was! Had great fun with a pair of 10x50s from the back garden.

In order of appearance the first things I saw from the first night of using the bins were

1 - A chinese lantern

2 - A satellite (did check up the name but it escapes me now)

3 - Loads of stars

4 - Jupiter + 2 moons

5- far too many easyjets and wizzairs coming in to land

Right, here we go again for toinight! For the first time in ages I have a day off tomorrow and the skies look clear so fingers crossed for a long session grappling with AP!

Deep breath......

Just pray the dew stays away - it put a spanner in the works last night !

Edit: UGH, just been out again, only 3-4 stars visible, and they're flashing like strobes :p Real thick smell in the air like it's just rained, humidity must be nuts tonight.

Sorry to hear that - Its a nother clear night here in Stevenage (Hertfordshire) although humidity is around 91% with a due point at 15.8c - here's a live feed of current conditions where the observatory is located -

banner.php

Just been down the local playing field with a cheap and tiny pair of binos i managed to borrow, didn't want to drive 30mins to my proper dark spot for the sake of some 8x21s.

Upon arriving i found the entire area basked in a bright white haze. Thats right, the one day of the year that they have the tennis court lights on happens to coincide with the day i get access to some binos at last. Add the lights to tonights ridiculous humidity and it felt like i was literally bathing in light. To top it off, there wasn't even anyone there.

Well i pointed them at jupiter anyway since i was there, I knew i'd be disappointed with such small binos, and i kinda was. But at the same time, despite the lighting, and the small optics, it was nice to be out there with something, to at least make an official start to this new hobby of mine.

It was almost like a relief after the last few weeks of staring at scopes online, seeing peoples images, seeing peoples "first viewing" stories and wishing it was me. Perhaps the most frustrating is that i have a 4" reflector that i left out in spain. It isn't a great one, some nameless **** not even worth the trouble of getting it shipped over, but right now, compared to my eyes alone, it'd be a godsend.

So count yourselves lucky, don't take your skies or your scopes for granted :p

Archived