Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

OMG My new D3s is amazing!

This is a first light test on the night sky with my new Nikon D3s, pushing the settings as far as the camera is able to go at ISO12800 :) 17mm F/2.8 two 30s exposure mosaic taken in my back garden.

Hardly any decrease in quality at this ISO level.......well im impressed to say the least.

cheers

Peter

post-17181-133877662868_thumb.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone i wasnt doing anything serious just more curiosity...id heard the noise levels were low so i put it to the test...BTW the long stars in the top part of the mosaic is movement from my tripod buckling under the weight!

Very impressive Pete especially as it looks like it was near to sunset

Regards

Kevin

Nah not sunset light pollution to the SW :).....

Nice first light...

Full frame 36x26 "chunky" 8.4um pixels for 12.1MP .. perhaps this will help peopel realise that the ever increasing Multi MP APSc Cameras with their smaller and smaller pixels aren't neccesarily the best option for Astro...

Peter...

Ditto.

That's lovely, Peter. I wonder how visible the MW was to the naked eye when you took that?

Olly

Ditto.

That's lovely, Peter. I wonder how visible the MW was to the naked eye when you took that?

Olly

I could see it but it wasnt as visible as it can be, the moon was just starting to pop its face up so the sky was a little washed out.

It gives me an idea of what im going to get when i use it in anger :) and next time ill make sure the tripod is locked down properly :)

Not much in the way of processing, i had to adjust the blacks in the sky and gave the whole image a saturation push, but that was about it......I have to keep reminding myself that this is only 30s

Thanks everyone this camera is really for work, but it looks like im going to be using it for my own astro stuff too.....:)

Hi Peter,

That's a fantastic shot :)

I'm curious to know if the camera applied any noise reduction (I've read that some Nikon's apply noise reduction at high ISO that cannot be turned off - is this the case with this model)?

As far as i know the camera is set to a default noise reduction that can be turned off, at least ive seen it in the settings, it will be interesting to see if im able to switch it off at higher ISO. Ill have a look and let you know. There is also an auto dark frame noise reduction that you can switch on....but these functions are on most DSLR. This shot was left with the default noise settings.

Cheer Doug

Just looking at the menu settings and there is a separate 'High Iso NR' which give you the option of 'high' 'normal' 'low' and 'off'...so the answer is you are able to turn it off....i wonder what the difference is with it off...only one way to find out....it was set to normal with this shot

Thanks everyone i wasnt doing anything serious just more curiosity...id heard the noise levels were low so i put it to the test...BTW the long stars in the top part of the mosaic is movement from my tripod buckling under the weight!

Nah not sunset light pollution to the SW :).....

Interesting that you can push the ISO so high with little noise- it should perform really well at 'sensible' ISO levels. Looking forward to seeing your results under more optimal conditions.

Is your light pollution from Newtown? I'm 25 miles to the West and can still see the glow well!

Yep LP from Newtown and im about 25miles away too, probably a little less as the crow flies.:)

Here is a test at 12800 ISO 30s darks with NR off and set to Normal also with a section of the unprosessed light frame.

I think with DF removal and a few stacked frames it isnt going to be to bad

you cant really see the difference with the NR off and at Normal on the posted image, but there is a difference when looking at the none compressed files

post-17181-133877663032_thumb.jpg

Archived