NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Revelation Eyepiece Set - First Impressions

Grant

Well, I decided it was about time to stop using an old shoebox to store my eyepieces and get a decent set that will hold me in good stead for the future so I've brought a Revelation Eyepiece Set from Steve @ First Light Optics.

I've not had chance to use them yet because of the weather and being pretty snowed under with work but I wanted to post my first impressions.

Revelationepset.jpg

The image really doesn't do this set justice, heres some I've taken, not great but gives you a better idea of whats in the tin:

image.jpg

Nice Big Box, I've put in some extra eyepieces as well and a barlow.

image.jpg

image.jpg

6mm 9mm 12mm 15mm 20mm and 32mm

image.jpg

32mm Close Up

image.jpg

6 Filters Included

I really cant wait to use these now, the build quality seems superb. The eyepieces feel really solid in your hand, I'm really pleased they have the rubber eye cup as well because I find this makes viewing alot more comfortable.

I'll update this thread when I get chance to use them!

Cheers,

Grant

Hi. Grant,

I have a Revelation set exactly the same as yours. Mine came as part of the deal with the scope I bought.

I have used all of them at one time or another, in my 152mm frac. and they performed admirabley, I am quite pleased with them.

I will get some Naglers and Pentax E/Ps just as soon as I win the lottery. :D

Ron. :D

They look identical to the plossls i got in a celestron eyepiece set a few months back, haven't felt the need to upgrade yet! If they are the same, you'll be very pleased, the 32mm is a very nice EP.

Have fun!

I have a set of those, ive found them to be very good. 8) I use them on the 132mm APO, as oposed to the Swan Brand that William Optics advise. They are great on the 200mm Explorer Newt.., an improvement on the 2 Skywatcher supply.

I finally got chance to try them out, on Saturday at a local astronomy night.. WOW!!

It was a superb night and I got to try them on Saturn, Venus and the moon. They were honestly the best views I've had of all 3 targets. Saturn was superb and it was great to have the range of eyepieces to build up the magnification, through the dobsonian I got her the biggest I've seen with more detail than I've ever managed before.

I'm really, really pleased with this set. True theres probably better single eyepieces out there but almost certainly they will cost alot more. The set for me is a great way of setting a solid benchmark for future eyepiece upgrades. The quality and value for money just can't be beat!

• 2 weeks later...

It's great to join a forum where people seem to enjoy cheaper EP's like these instead of being down on them and going on about Naglers all the time! I have a few similar Plossl's and I find them to be good performers in my little scope. A set like this is a total bargain IMO, keep your Naglers - seem a waste of cash to me unless your using a massive scope.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one Grant...

Would like to hear your views on the filter set on the planets....??

PS.. Could I have first lookie through at the Kelling Quest please...??

Greg

Your more than welcome to give them a try at Kelling mate :police:

To be honest, the only filter I've used so far is the moon filter which does its job well. I've never tried filters on planets, does it make much difference?

I remember seeing somewhere a list of what filters to use on which planets, will have to find it and try them out next time I'm out there :D

The filters will make a difference in seeing different features in planets. Just try the different colours Grant and see what happens :police:

Same with the moon - remember that filters can be combined

Well, the set arrived yesterday (Thanks Steve!) and amazingly enough, they didn't come with the obligatory cloud cover so I was able to try them last night. My only benchmark is my 26mm 2" but all performed admirably with some wonderful views of Saturn and M57 (which I was showing some friends) with the 20mm being my particular favourite at the moment. I was amazed at the difference the filters made when the scope was turned towards Jupiter, they really bought the cloud bands out despite the carp seeing. Just can't wait for some non-moonlit nights!

The case is excellent as well with extra space for Barlows, Quikfinders etc as well as giving that "I'm a proper Astronomer" air that a Jiffy bag just doesn't quite have

Overall, an excellent purchase and one which I can forsee me using for many sessions.

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice so far.

I'm looking at the Revelation kit from First Optics, and Celestrons Eyeopner kit. They are similraly priced. The Celestron kit also comes with a 2 x Barlow. (I have a 3xBarlow that came with the scope, but don't know if it's any good).

Both kits have a set of colour filters.

Which one would be better ?

• 2 weeks later...

I recently collected my Revalation set from my daughters house in the UK (thanks Steve F.L.O.for a smooth transaction, delivered on the day promised) but we have had continuous cloudy skys (with rain ) :wink: here in France so I also have not as yet tried them out..............but as stated they appear to be very well made....just waiting for the chance to use them ! ! !

Jeff

• 4 years later...
Looking forward to your report Grant :)

I really must take a good picture for the wesite as the stock one is appalling and doesn't do them justice at all.

You can always supply me gear for photography if you ever need any done, as im a photographer by trade.

Paul

Archived