SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

LX800 - the way of the future?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The combined Alt-Az-GEM is quite a nice idea though probably more useful to the manufacturer than the customer since you are not likely to flit between the two. It simplifies production, brings economies of scale and makes marketing easier. I'm in favour in principle.

The integrated guidescope is a brilliant idea, the first time I heard of it being on the prototype Astrotrac. It is so logical and if the manufacturers will go the whole hog with their own dedicated guide camera and software, guidespeeds related to position, etc, then the future should be rosy. Getting a bunch of 'mutually third party' kit working together is usually the number one hassle in any setup. However, it isn't clear how integrated the scope is on this. Maybe it's just the good old parallel guidescope?

I see that Meade have been redefining the language again. F8 is now 'fast.' You have to laugh. And let's not forget their obstructive policy on sending out spares for mount repairs. I suspect they've found that insisting on people sending back whole mounts at their own expense has had a pleasing effect on the number of returns they have to deal with...

As Peter says, the real world is the acid test.

Olly

In fairness to meade i think F8 is 'fast' in comparison to the majority of f10 SC.

andrew

And F10 is fast compared to F15 Mak's etc......however, F8 is not fast.

The scopes are nnow on the telescope house site, the LX80 mount is £799 and the LX800 mount is £5999.

The LX80 max capacity is 75lbs and the LX800, 90lbs.

To me, just having a quick look, the LX80 looks good value, but the LX800 I'd consider overpriced.

Rob

I'd still maintain in the cat market f8 is 'fast' compared to whats on offer - as it's not competing with F5 triplets! F8 is a big advantage in terms of field of view, and with a reducer would be a useful all around instrument for imagers also - more so than the ubiquitous C8 and LX.

it looks very very like the kson eklipse,

http://www.ksonoptics.com:8081/Product/PrdDtls/169/

or even the new version the kson "milestone advanced"

http://www.ksonoptics.com:8081/Product/PrdDtls/174/

the idea between them and the meade is somthing im supprised hasnt taken off way way before now, the alt az / EQ modes (on the kson the difference is wedge, and a setting in the control box) all metal construction (somthing meade needs to learn!!!!!) i can imagine having my imaging scope on one side and a guide camera on the other

And F10 is fast compared to F15 Mak's etc......however, F8 is not fast.

The scopes are nnow on the telescope house site, the LX80 mount is £799 and the LX800 mount is £5999.

The LX80 max capacity is 75lbs and the LX800, 90lbs.

To me, just having a quick look, the LX80 looks good value, but the LX800 I'd consider overpriced.

Rob

That's a very good price for what seems to be an interesting mount (LX80). I could be tempted to ditch my EQ6 if this measures up. Need to see a few reviews first. And it is a Meade. After the wayward behaviour of my long-departed ETX 125, I hope their QA has improved!

They put sold out on to stop people trying to order them.

Just had the mail from TH, looks interesting but I think I'll hang fire.

I'm contemplating building an observatory so will be in the market for an upgrade to the HEQ5 if I do so I'll watch 'that' space (pardon the pun) !

Looks great.

I would personaaly not buy imeadiaterley as Meade do tend to let the first customers do the bug testing etc :(

Very wise - but it sometimes takes years in my experience. My ETX 125 had the Mark 2 mount aluminium fork and ball bearings but it was still sloppy as hell. And as for the Autostar, don't get me started.

To quote Scotty "ye cannae change the laws of physics". These are quite cheap and that probably is for a reason - they are built down to a budget.

Meade OTAs (particularly the ACFs) are really quite good but they have too long a history of putting out good ideas ruined by poor implementation and penny pinching. I really wouldn't touch with a barge pole; I can't believe these will have either a low or smooth PE if they work for long enough to find out.

I would get an OTA from them certainly but n mount it on a separate mount.

Paul

Regarding F/8 being fast, its the F/5 matched reducer that makes it interesting (compared to the problem of getting a reducer with a GSO RC, as I am given to understand). The main system is not as fast as the Orion Dall-Kirkham's (F/6.8), but with reducer it is interesting, even just to put the scope on an EQ6 or heavier third-party mount. I have had no problems with the few instances of Meade optics, although I have heard horror stories about their electronics.

my etx 70 was a fantastic idea poorly implemented (plastic gears, stupid pretensioners / clutches which if u wernt careful wore the gear teath, power supply not approiate in anything bar a desert) but because of that i probally wont buy another meade again, it was a very expensive *cough £350 cough* mistake

how long till synta releases one......

Archived