Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

24th september meeting! blaenavon

garethmob

hello guys and gals

the next meeting is fast approaching, (after a little nudge from pat ;)) so im posting this to see how many people can attend

the date covers a half moon i believe so it (providing its clear) wil be a nice moon spotting as well as a small amount of bright DSO viewing too (of course double stars will be fine)

taffy_2 has graciously said he will help provide weather updates for the day just in case i am stuck in work (and i dont go as far as blaenavon :( any other weather updates around the valleys will be helpfull too :)

the site is in blaenavon its near some radio / tv masts

the location is here

+51° 47' 25.57", -3° 4' 10.74" (this may show a orange arrow, pan the screen to the right or zoom out and the location has a green arrow)

South Wales Astro SGL sites - Google Maps

it was also suggested that we meet up in brynmarw ASDA in case of not being able to find the site, if enough people agree we shall do that (as asda is 10 minuits away roughly)

hopefully this meeting will be clear skys! so fingers crossed

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hello guys, my car at present seems to be "off the road" no idea what it is as it wont start (starter motor wont even attempt to crank) so currently i cant get anywhere :'( hopefully either it will be fixed by next sat or i'll av a new car by then but i'll keep you all posted fingers crossed that its not as bad as i think it is :)

*jonny thas what this groups for :) all us south wales locals to meet up to help each other so dont bottle any questions up just ask and if we dont know we can find out! :)

well, swmbo has said she doesn't mind if I come along, but i may be there a little later than 7:30, once the kids have had a chance to demolish my birthday cake.

If there are a few crumbs left I'll bring some along.

will be good to give my new scope a good airing

you can run programs from "flash / thumb" drives and external hard drives but they do run quite a bit slower do to the different buffer speeds between each interface (as apposed to directly to the internal hdd)

what specs / model is it lenny?

Do you guys mind complete newbies coming along? I've figured out polar allignment and such, and it'd be nice to show my teeny tiny telescope to people that are interested for a change, but I haven't really found much to look at besides planets/the moon in the night sky yet, still learning my way around very slowly.

It'd be nice to check out some bigger scopes/better EPs before I lay down the cash on a 10" dob too.

The forecast isn't looking amazing so far, but if it's still on come saturday morning it's only an hour or so drive away.

Archived