Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Loughborough / Liecester.

You're not wrong about the gate, but I figure you only need to observe from about 100m up from the gate on the grassed section near the main gravel / soil carpark. Shouldn't be too much of a problem to trolley gear up. Heavy gear on trolley and the rest can be walked up. If there's enough interest I'll contact the rangers to see about arranging a special night pass.

In the mean time there should be ample parking in the roadside bays up and down the lane.

So, who would be interested in it? :)

If you can get a night pass that would be superb - I'd certainly come for at least one meeting to suss it out. But it's all I can do to get my gear in the car from the house - certainly won't be dragging it 100m uphill - way too big and heavy lol :)

• 2 weeks later...

Leicester Astronomical Soc. have in the past (5/6 years ago) arranged viewing at Beacon Hill. One of the members made contact with the warden and it was arranged for a gate to be open which avoided the normal entrance. We never went because of rain and cloud on the 3 or 4 occaisions planned. That particular member has since left so I cannot give any contact details, but I would think an approach to any of the wardens would lead to a success. If you do suceed I am sure there will be myself and other LAS members very interested.

keith

Leicester Astronomical Soc. have in the past (5/6 years ago) arranged viewing at Beacon Hill. One of the members made contact with the warden and it was arranged for a gate to be open which avoided the normal entrance. We never went because of rain and cloud on the 3 or 4 occaisions planned. That particular member has since left so I cannot give any contact details, but I would think an approach to any of the wardens would lead to a success. If you do suceed I am sure there will be myself and other LAS members very interested.

keith

Keith, excuse the hijack but a while back you sent me a PM to which I cannot reply via PM because it says you chose not to receive PMs. You can get me via my website, which will Google easily with my name Olly Penrice.

OP, sorry, I just haven't seen another post by Keith to which I could reply.

Olly

• 1 month later...

A bit further over is the Rosliston Astronomy Group. Meeting on the last friday of the month, there is ample room for dark viewing.We could see M33 with bins and a full expanse of the Milky Way with Cygnus rifts behind the visitor centre. They're a friendly crew and pleased to see observers.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Apologies but now I am going to hijack this thread...

I've just joined this foum and am in Loughborough - are there any others here in / close to Loughborough?

I know there is a Leicester group but was hoping for something a bit closer to home :icon_confused:

I also would be interested in going up Beacon Hill too.

Thanks!

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

I see you have already found the Leicester group.

http://stargazerslounge.com/south-leicester-observers/

I had a similar problem to you with EMS, the observing site was too far to be practical. I had to try to set up a group. I am sure there must be people a bit nearer to you.

I wish you luck in finding some buddies in your area.

You are more than welcome to join us. We have a chap that comes across from Coventry.

Simon :icon_confused:

Okey dokey, I'll try to make contact with a warden, sometime before the end of the year. In the meantime, if anybody beats me to it, please post details on this thread would you? Cheers.

PS. Jason, no probs with The scope mate and how the hell would I be able to pull you away from those Thursday black holes???? :icon_confused:

Count me in for Beacon Hill (time and availability permitting).

I'm only a couple of miles away so would be quite handy.

I'm sure though that somewhere on here sometime ago I read that Beacon Hill / Bradgate Park wasnt that good 'cause of the LP from Loughboro and Leicester?

ps gates get locked at both sites cause of the ******* problem!! :icon_confused: (aaah SGL blanks out "unusual" works - replace the **** with something to do with dogs!!)

ps gates get locked at both sites cause of the ******* problem!! :icon_confused: (aaah SGL blanks out "unusual" works - replace the **** with something to do with dogs!!)

Lol yup, it was a huge problem....I know what you mean.....blanked out or not hahaha :rolleyes: I would imagine the LP to be bad too, but still not as bad as my own backyard.

hi celeste

i,m also a member of slo and we use areally good site in glooston thats about 35-40 mins from you in loughborough,

so if you,d like to come join us leave a message on our page.

and if you do get to use beacon hill chuck us a pm as i would quite like to do some observing from there!

andy

Well the LP is certainly there, it's how you manage it that matters. If you want grade A skies you'll need to go somewhere there aren't cities...... wales or close by (see the details for SGL 7) :icon_confused:

If you're wanting to observe from beacon hill then expect to have to use your narrowband filters for imaging and if you're visual, like me, don't hunt for objects that you know you'll never see under less than perfect skies.

A meeting isn't all about the observing it's about sharing experiences and targets!! Oh..... And maybe a beer or three. :rolleyes:

LP don't bother me especially as most of my viewings done from the back garden!

"A meeting isn't all about the observing it's about sharing experiences and targets!! Oh..... And maybe a beer or three" - excellent couldn't agree more!! now since I'm preparing to move house in the near future and have been for the past 12 weeks with no date in site and the scopes disassembled and packed away - can I share yours!! ;)

Theres a few good pubs in the area - Swithland - The Griffin, couple in Woodhouse ;)

Hi FOlks,

used to live in Leics, have you tried the bottom carpark in Bradgate, also as luck would have it the Beacon Hill carpark did not used to be locked at night. And the above is right it is about sharing and a pint, especially at the Old Barn in Glooston, the Wheatsheaf, or the Griffin would go down a treat!

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Hi to everyone - I have not posted before as have recently got a telescope. Apart from back gardeno observing, I've only been out to Surprise View in the peak district which was not brilliant as too many people turning up in cars smoking drugs for my liking! Would have been better with other people as there is greater security in numbers.

I'm in Notts and would love to hear of any meet ups that are fairly local!

Cheers!

Archived