Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WHAT GREASE TO USE FOR SYNSCAN PRO GEARS

DaveGibbons

Interested in this myself. Do you need to completely strip the mount down to re-grease, as I've seen on various websites (and which rather alarms me), or can you just open the side cover and do it without dismantling it?

I would not suggest mixing greases - they may or may not interact. You should clean all the old grease off first and then re-grease. Grease does not have an indefinate life and does get "old" and shouild be replaced from time to time.

So do you need to strip it down to do that, and is it difficult? Sorry, Dave, not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but it's something I've been thinking about for a while!

I agree, for my old EQ6 classic I used white Lithium grease. The black original stuff could be only dissoved with brush cleaner, as isopropylic alcohol failed to dissolve it.

However: I have two NEQ6 pro mounts now, one purchased August 2008 and one February 2011. In both cases they worked fine out of the box and I found no need at all to regrease them. I get around 4-5 min unguided exposures at 1000mm f.l. out of them - hence "never change a running system".

I have two NEQ6 pro mounts now, one purchased August 2008 and one February 2011. In both cases they worked fine out of the box and I found no need at all to regrease them.
And so they should - they cost enough!
I get around 4-5 min unguided exposures at 1000mm f.l. out of them - hence "never change a running system".
Quite agree.

I would have thought something like the NEQ6 mount would have been good for 10 years or more without attention (other than maybe tightening up the taper bearings). It shouldn't be subject to wet or dirty conditions and if not overloaded, shouldn't wear unduly. So why should it be necessary to re-grease?

If you want to see what happens when greases get mixed take a look at my case study of an EQ6 I worked on recently here EQ6/Atlas Addendum

This was almost certainly the result of greases being added which has caused all of the mounts shims to disintegrate.

This is also a cautionary tale for anyone buying a used EQ6 or NEQ6.

Archived