NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader Steeltrack SC for SCT

I just noticed this on the FLO home page, been wondering about a replacement focuser for my 8SE for a while now and this looks just the job. Any comments? I have a 2" diagonal already, I should be able to use this all of the time just with a 2" - 1.25" adaptor to use my smaller eyepieces.

First Light Optics - Baader SteelTrack SC for SCT

I found the mirror slop/flop on the 8" to be neglible...no real need for a Crayford.

But, if you feel one is really necessary, the the Baader is one of the best around.

(On the C9.25 the Feathertouch microfocuser was all that was needed...)

HTH

Baader's Steeltrack SC for SCT had great potential for my Christmas List - until that is I popped a 3.25" Baader Click-Lock visual back (#2956233) on my CPC1100. Now I only want to use "Click-Lock" for attaching equipment to my scope!! I think the Steeltrack negates the use for the 3.25" visual back though. I'm hoping Baader will (please, please, please) release a Click-Lock SCT focuser :)

My CPC1100 does have rather bad mirror flop so I really should make a focuser a priority. I was looking at getting the Steeltrack and using it with Baader's 2" Click-Lock diagonal (#2956100) - which is the other item making it to the top of my Christmas List. Which one would you get if you had to make a choice: the Steeltrack focuser or the Click-Lock Diagonal?

I'm disappointed to see that Steeldrive seems likely to be over 300 euros! :)

Baader Steeldrive focus motor for Steeltrack - without Handbox

However I've found that it's quite easy to fit a Skywatcher Autofocus motor - I've just made a simple bracket from aluminimium sheet. It's fixed to the focusser using short M5 bolts into the holes in the bottom of the focusser which are normally blanked off with recessed head bolts. Tools needed - hacksaw, file and drill.

The only fiddly bit is to drill out the SW motor boss to accept the 6mm Baader fosusser shaft.

Here it is on my C9.25. Works a treat and makes accurate focussing much easier - £45ish :)

post-19045-133877659525_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...
3 hours ago, Ken82 said:

Does the steel track have brass compression rings or is it best to buy the click lock adapter ? 

Compression rings. Personally I use a click lock on my SteelTrack and also on my TS100Q focuser too.

Archived