Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

20/20 vision

IvanT

A neighbour called over night before last when I was setting up. It was just getting dark & he asked if he could have a look through my scope. I really enjoyed explaining the basics to him and he was really interested. It wasn't really dark enough for any DSOs but the plough stars we just visible. I got him to slew the scope to Mizar then said to him, see that star to which he replied "what the one with a little star above it?". I nearly fell down. He has never looked through a scope, has no astro knowledge, and he split Mizar and Alcor visually before it was really that dark and before he'd looked through the scope. His optician told him he had better than 20/20. He was chuffed and left happy. I'd kill for eyesight like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting you say that , as I was told the same.

Not so many years ago , I could read a newspaper that was virtually touching my nose, and could read an eye chart at double the distance specified for the small letters.

It was common for me to point out distant objects that others could not see , or could only make out very dimly.

Sadly, time marches on, it all went to pot as I hit my 50's.

Still, can use a scope or bins just fine. Such is life.

Cheers, Nigel

Later on when it was darker and my eyes had dark adapted I could split it, just, but being able to do when it was still quite bright impressed me. Still, that's why we've got telescopes I guess :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The number of times my missus has said - look at those stars up there - and I've no idea what she's on about - annoys me cos I can't see a thing. Her eyesight is worse than mine in daylight - but at night time I can't believe what she can see and I can't - grrr! Figure that one out lol :)

Not so many years ago , I could read a newspaper that was virtually touching my nose, and could read an eye chart at double the distance specified for the small letters.

THe last time I did that, I was 15 - just done it today, 23 years on, and am very depressed to see just blurry text! :)

I hate getting older...

My near point is about a light year away now :), but I can still easily split Mizar and Alcor, like most things astronomical, it's very much a function of ambient sky conditions. Jupiters moons are theoretically visible to the naked eye but the glare of Jupiter tends to drown them out. Interestingly, Jupiters moons are not difficult to see through an appropriate telescope in daylight but trying to find stars of similar magnitude by sweeping about is almost impossible.

THe last time I did that, I was 15 - just done it today, 23 years on, and am very depressed to see just blurry text! :)

I hate getting older...

I had to get glasses a few years back...They near drove me nuts!

Especially after having such good eyes for so many years.

It got to me that much I had eye surgery , not perfect, but no need for the hated glasses or contacts...so well worth the cost! :D

Cheers, Nigel

Archived