The mass of men....

thoreau

Greetings all.

Northeastern USA here. Looking for some good information on improving my stargazing. I've mostly been a casual observer but recently I did some camping in Big Bend National Park in Texas, USA and got hooked. There was a guy there with a Celestron NextStar and he let everyone in the campsite take turns. It was pretty amazing.

In general, Big Bend was a great place to just look up. I guess the low humidity improves viewing.

I'll mostly be in the background reading all the great info here.

Thanks for the site,

Thoreau

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy Thoreau!

I too love Big Bend. Did you get to go to McDonald Observatory?

"The stars at night are big and bright - deep in the heart of Texas!"

The fact that there is little light pollution in Big Bend (and south Texas generally) is part of the reason for the outstanding viewing, but the seeing is also better than most places because there is little natural or man-made air pollution. There have been concerns that the concentration of manufacturing sites near the border in northern Mexico is rapidly polluting the air. They have virtually no clean air standards (as I understand it) which leads to pollution as NAFTA has drained jobs from the US. I have personally witnessed the rapid increase in visible air pollution in south Texas over the last 20 years or so.

I too love Big Bend. Did you get to go to McDonald Observatory?

No. We got stuck in Terlingua for 2 days and 1 night while our jeep was getting repaired. Spent the rest of the trip at the campsite in the mountains and hiking.

Hello and Welcome!

It was seeing the stars over Yosemite National Park from Glacier point whilst on my Honeymoon a couple of years back which reignited my interest in Astronomy.

The skies were like nothing I had ever seen before in the UK.

Just wish someone was there with a telescope so I could have looked at a few things at the time :)

Archived