Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Kelling Heath Chat Thread (Autumn 2011)

brantuk

Wandered round a few times over the weekend to see if I could find any SGL'rs. A few more friends were made.

The view through Nigel's (NigelG) Lunt on the Sun on the Thursday was absolutely incredible. That's a lasting memory that one.

To finish it off with clear skies on the Sunday from 1:30am onwards was the icing on a very nice cake.

Overall, another great weekend.

Dave

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had a great 2nd half of the week, far too short to do everything. Pleased to meet Brantuk, Carastro, Nigel and probably many others after dark. Great skies during the small hours and thanks to all those who offered me a look through their scopes as I took only solar gear. The Sun was very active during the period and I was pleased to see how well my 125mm PST mod stood up to more expensive rigs.

I saw the film crew as I was packing up on Sunday.... what a stupid time to turn up!

On the plus side, the last bit shows the Orrery created by one of the deaf astronomers opposite me - it was absolutely FANTASTIC!

(The car opposite is my mate packup up)

Phil

It was good to meet you too Peter - from one TV star to another lol :p

@psjshep - it was nice having you as a neighbour matey even though I was too distracted by everyone to sponge on your imaging skills lol.

I believe Jacks thing was an "ossery" - which I'd never heard of before - but it was great to see him make the news with it for sure ;)

I had a great time at this first star party for me. I haven't been camping with my dad in ages and even though we were next to the shower block (last min booking!) we had so much fun!

I didn't meet any of you guys ;) But hopefully the next SGL meet will sort that out!

I made some good friends and my favourite bits were:

> Having a bbq in pitch black one night and a couple of head torches!

> Trying out my friends tent which was a vango and fantastic so I shall buy one!

> Seeing a hint of structure in m31 and for the first time BOTH orbiting galaxies :p

> Trying out a few ED fracs for the first time

> Seeing mars through a 12" dob for the first time this year (still dont know who was the kind lady who let me!)

> Looking through that amazing visual solar set up in the different wavelengths by that guy I think his name was Kevin Smith?

> Seeing m42 and the running man not only the first time this year but the best I have ever seen it - loads of structure just wish I had a filter!

Clear skies to all it was great,

Oh that's teriffic Adam - sounds like you really made great capital out of the event. Wish I'd got to meet you - we were on Red 304 - were you on the blue field? If so I was at a bbq just the other side of the loo block the night the ambulance arrived lol.

I'm really glad you had such a great time - make sure you find me next time and I'll get you a session with a 24" dob :p

Yeah on blue! pitch 250 I think... I wish I had met you too. I see why everyone had booked up red! So little tree lines around and a lot of astro people in one field.

THAT AMBULANCE PARKED ITS HEADLIGHTS OUTSIDE MY TENT FOR HOURS!

Anyways I hope the lady was okay, she did sound rather ill.

Please please tell me you weren't the guy who I came up to on Sunday morning about 4:00am and had just packed away the massive dob ha ha! I walked over to see if anyone was up and the thing was just being packed away. I would pay for a look through one!

It wasn't a complete heart ache though, the people next to it had a nice ed frac and 12" dob we used to look at things before the moon came up to wash things out :p

Yeah I hope the girl was ok too - when they carried her to the ambulance I was at the tent behind the ambulance with two chaps and another woman sat in a deck chair - was that you? We had a chat about "The Only Way is Essex"?

I didn't have a dob this time so it wouldn't be me packing it away lol :p

Ha no it wasn't but oh well! I was in a rather large group of guys that were all talking about this amazing meteor that was seen the morning before, some believed it to be the satellite burning up that the news was mentioning. I was gutted I missed it!

Did anyone on SGL see it at Kelling?

Archived