Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Trying eyepieces in the Mid Devon area

After a great nights viewing with the stock Skywatcher eyepieces, I have decided to buy another to plug the gap between the 10 and 25mm.

After reading through a few posts it seems better to try before you buy. Does anyone know if there is anywhere around Mid Devon where I can try out eyepieces.

Thanks

Adrian

Have you thought about speaking to SGL sponsor First Light Optics <click>?

They are based in Exeter and are real nice folks - they can maybe lend you some to try out perhaps with a deposit or suchlike - worth asking anyhow. You'd need to phone before dropping by I believe.

Of course it's worth noting that legally speaking you can try out any eyepiece from any UK Internet-based vendor and then send it back within 7 working days for full refund if you don't like it - but UK culture hasn't quite fully adapted to that yet, and vendors may refuse service if you do this too much.

Hi There,

There is a company that will iet you try before buy called sky's the limit Sky's the Limit you pay up front but they will send out for you to use, send back the ones you do not need and they refund you. It works bought one BSD explorer and they sent out four.!.

Regards

Thanks for the link, looks like an interesting site. Like the idea of try before you buy.

looks like an interesting site.

Yes, Alan's a top chap - quite a few on SGL have bought from STL - and there's no overlap with FLOs product lines. I have no idea if the telescopes Alan sells are any good or not (I've only bought accessories), but he's clearly doing well as he keeps hitting his non-VAT trading limit each month.

one good thing about companies that offer try before you buy is that they almost certainly make enquiries about customer expectations and have a discussion with them to establish what they want and why and this results in less returns I should think as they offer products which match those criteria. a much better way of doing business.

Hello Adrian welcome to SGL. What scope do you have? Eyepieces can be expensive although I recently reviewed the new Celestron X-Cel LX EPs in the 18mm variety and here is my verdict.

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/152365-new-celestron-x-cel-lx-18mm-eyepiece-review.html

Depends on your budget this could be an ideal size.

First Light Optics - Celestron X-Cel LX eyepiece

Mark

Thanks for all your replies.

I will definitely give the Sky's the the limit site a view, thanks for the link Damnut, that seems a great solution, won't even need to leave the house!

I'll drop First Light Optics an Email as well, and see what they can do.

I'm between Tiverton and Crediton and my scope is the Skywatcher 200p Dob. I've been looking at the Baader eyepieces on FLO at £92 because of the wide FOV. That is probably close to the top of my budget but I would like to explore all price levels to compare and buy what is best suited to me.

Thanks

Adrian

Alan at the Sky's the Limit is great, very helpful. But the guys at FLO are also great, I have had two expensive ep's on spec from them and they were most helpful, the last one was my Axiom LX at £200, no trouble to take home from the SW Astronomy Fair, and paid for it four days later, that's great service. For choice in your original question, I would suggest the 15mm BST Explorer from Alan at Sky's the Limit, a superb medium power and one of my best ep's.

Any clubs around you where members may let you try a few of theirs?

Any one on SGL that may be local enough to share a nights viewing and let you try a few?

Someone was trying to arrange a get together on Dartmoor and there seemed to be a number of people in that area.

Alan at the Sky's the Limit is great, very helpful. But the guys at FLO are also great, I have had two expensive ep's on spec from them and they were most helpful, the last one was my Axiom LX at £200, no trouble to take home from the SW Astronomy Fair, and paid for it four days later, that's great service. For choice in your original question, I would suggest the 15mm BST Explorer from Alan at Sky's the Limit, a superb medium power and one of my best ep's.

I would also recommend the 15mm BST from Alan @ Sky's the Limit. Great chap and great price/service :):headbang:

Loving the EP as well :hello2::icon_scratch:

My nearest astro club is in Tiverton but it doesn't look as though they have any meets until winter and I'm looking to purchase in the next month.

The NLO looks fantastic, unfortunately I am busy most Fridays but if I get a free one I will try to get down at some point.

Adrian

Archived