Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader SteelTrack focusers at First Light Optics

FLO

We have never been particularly impressed with the regular Taiwanese Crayford focusers currently available re-badged ad infinitum at other dealers so we have not offered them, preferring instead to concentrate on the significantly better Moonlite range of focusers.

However, a few weeks ago we ordered in one each of the Baader SteelTrack focusers for assessment. They are noticeably better than regular Crayford focusers with features that appeal to visual astronomers and imagers. They are also sensibly priced. Baader SteelTrack focusers for refractor, Newtonians and SCT telescopes are now in stock for overnight delivery.

We also have Baader SteelDrive units incoming that will be available with or without a handset for precise motorised focusing. The SteelDrive can also be controlled via the Baader LVI Smartguider 2 or the new HitecAstro FocusMaster Digital focus controller (more of that soon).

If you are looking for a robust well-made Crayford focuser with the option of motorised focus, consider a Baader SteelTrack :)

baader-steeltrak-focuser-refractor-large.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I nearly went for one of these but went for the Moonlite in the end from you guys :D

Have the Moonlite focusers cleared customs yet lol :)

That is a great price for these as well. I am tempted to go for one of these when I get the C8 in the near future.

I have two of the Steeltracks and they do work brilliantly. To me they feel just as nice and smooth as a MoonLite. It's nice to be able to buy a focuser that's perfectly set-up when you get it and needs no adjustment.

I think that's what you call quality control. :)

John

I have one and they are nice units, well made etc. Steve - I was wondering what this means?

'Adjustable bearing mechanism for precise location of focal plane.'

I would like to make a minor adjustment to the focal plane but dont see how to do it!

I have one and they are nice units, well made etc. Steve - I was wondering what this means?

'Adjustable bearing mechanism for precise location of focal plane.'

I would like to make a minor adjustment to the focal plane but dont see how to do it!

I am posting from home but I'll take a look in the morning then update this thread. If necessary I'll phone Thomas Baader for instructions.

My plan is to fit one with a Baader Steeldrive and operate it with the HitecAstro FocusMaster controller, when they arrive.

HTH,

Steve

hi steve, on the baader sct crayford, would you know if the adaptor base comes of, as a few of us might like this unit for our tal 200k`s

Just what I was thinking, although I looked at the newt version. I think the newt and sct bodies are the same?

It looks like there are some grub screws holding it onto the newt base/sct adapter. Wouldn't mind seeing it with the base/adapter off, to see what there is to play with, as regards to making a baseplate to suit.

Is it 50mm high measured from the top of the newt base/sct adapter?

Andy.

The Newt and SCT bodies aren't quite the same. The dovetail flange that fits into the base is about 78mm in the SCT body and about 80mm in the Newt body. Why two different sizes :), who knows. Otherwise standard focuser fitting.

Here's some pics that might help.

BTW if you want to fit a Baader to a Newt base that has the smaller 78mm opening then get the SCT focuser and just use the body.

John

Steve - cheers for looking into the adjustment options :)

Unfortunately we didn't get very far :D

It isn't clear how the adjustment is made. The UK importer doesn't know and Thomas Baader has left for his hols so it will probably be another two weeks before we have an answer. I phoned another UK dealer (some of us are sociable) to discuss. Like us he too copied the text from the Baader website but doesn't know the answer so we have deleted that line from the product listing until after we have spoken with Baader. Baader kit is very well made but the technical specification and product features often suffer in translation.

HTH

They are referring to the adjustability of the bearings.

On the top of the focuser body there are three screws on each side. They are arranged in a push-pull arrangement. Slacken off the socket screw in the midde of the two grub screws and then tighten the grub screws or loosen the grub screws and tighten the socket screw. This adjusts the tilt of the bearing plate inside the focuser body and hence the tilt of the drawtube. When you make this adjustment you can see the drawtube moving slightly to one side or the other or up and down. It's a bit like adjusting the secondary on a Newtonian.

BTW after doing this you may need to adjust the tension and the focuser shaft adjustments on the bottom of the focuser if you make big adjustments.

John

Thanks John :)

That was the first thing we tried but we found the affect was negligible, probably because we didn't loosen the bottom tension adjustment. I'll try again when we reopen Monday.

Dealers eh, what the heck do they know! :D

Steve

Ta.

Ooh. Much lower profile than my guesstimation.

That makes it only 1.5mm bigger/longer than my stock Klev R&P. Ideal, although care will be needed in the design of the backplate, to avoid fouling of the focuser wheels.

Sourcing (extremely)low profile focusers has always been like a search for the Holy Grail, but now that's two confirmed as being suitable.

Cheers,

Andy.

*edit

Archived