Where to store data?

zedds

Hello everyone.

A quick question if i may.

What is the best way to store data after capture? At the moment everything is on my laptop. I don`t back up anything, which i know is very risky. The main reason for asking is i haven`t done that many sessions but the total size is already at 150+ GB with AVIs and RAW images.

Do any of you save to disk after the session or save to an external hard drive?

At this rate the hard drive will be full up before the season starts!!!!!!

Any advice appreciated.

That's just the question that has arisen with me lately. I have two external hard drives made up from enclosures purchased on Ebay with hard drives of 60gb and 160gb salvaged from an old PC and one from my desk top after upgrading the hard drive from that. Both are now full, not just with astro stuff but photos and various other docs I want to keep. So I have just ordered a 500gb Hitachi portable hard drive from my local Comet store to give me more storage (due to pick it up tomorrow). At £34.97, seems like good value.

Brinders

I have data on a laptop, which auto-syncs directories to a NAS drive (which is RAID5).

NAS drive holds *all* my important data (like photos & videos of grandkids - utterly irreplaceable and far more important than Astro data which can always be recaptured).

While not totally secure, it would need three almost simultaneous drive failures to lose the data.

This is a problem I faced recently as well so I got a 1TB portable drive which means I can back up the whole laptop and not risk losing any data. It's one of the drives that doesn't need external power so it's very small.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Looks like a search on google for an external hard drive. Any recommendations? I prefer the idea of not needing another power source.

Hi,

If you would prefer not needing a separate power supply you should go for one of the external drives which uses laptop sized drives such as these :)

Portable External Hard Drives from PC World - Get Portable External Hard Drives online here

My personal preference are the Western Digital or Seagate drives.

I just ordered a Seagate 500GB Expansion Portable USB 2.0 Hard Drive from Amazon £38.29. No need for external power source, so I can use it wherever. I have other, bigger drives for backup at home.

That's just the question that has arisen with me lately. I have two external hard drives made up from enclosures purchased on Ebay with hard drives of 60gb and 160gb salvaged from an old PC and one from my desk top after upgrading the hard drive from that. Both are now full, not just with astro stuff but photos and various other docs I want to keep. So I have just ordered a 500gb Hitachi portable hard drive from my local Comet store to give me more storage (due to pick it up tomorrow). At £34.97, seems like good value.

Brinders

Picked my drive up last night reformatted from FAT32 to NTFS and backed up some files from my Netbook and desk top. I can't believe that this little drive can hold so much storage. And it doesn't need an additional power supply - draws power from the USB port. It's also very sleek and stylish with a blue rubberized coating. Wonderful and a bargain with excellent service and no, I don't work for Comet or have any connection with them, other than being a very happy customer.

Buy HITACHI OS00226 | 2.5" 500GB BLUE HARD DRIVE - 2.5 inch Portable Hard Drive | Comet

Brinders

How about cloud storage? I use Liveview which has unlimited storage , with back up, for around £100 a year.

Unlimited storage for £100pa is clearly impossible to actually deliver and an unsustainable business model. They're just hoping no-one finds out. I prefer not to get involved with people who are selling services they can't deliver on the grounds that you don't know what else they might be misleading you about.

James

How about cloud storage? I use Liveview which has unlimited storage , with back up, for around £100 a year.

I LOVE the idea of cloud storage :D you could just let it back out when you were ready to put the scope away and go to bed :)

Sorry, I'll get my coat, and slap myself on the wrist for going off topic :(

Helen

I have data on a laptop, which auto-syncs directories to a NAS drive (which is RAID5).

While not totally secure, it would need three almost simultaneous drive failures to lose the data.

RAID5 gives protection for just one failed drive, so you'll be stuffed if a second drive also goes down. Unless that is your system also has an online spare which will then provide you with 2 drive failure safety.

Also the 2 drive failures don't have to be almost simultaneous - you have a vulnerable period starting from when the first drive failed to when it has been replaced and the parity data rebuilt.

RAID5 gives protection for just one failed drive, so you'll be stuffed if a second drive also goes down. Unless that is your system also has an online spare which will then provide you with 2 drive failure safety.

Also the 2 drive failures don't have to be almost simultaneous - you have a vulnerable period starting from when the first drive failed to when it has been replaced and the parity data rebuilt.

Quite. There is RAID6, which provides another parity set, but I'd never have either with at least one hot spare.

Personally I'd probably go with RAID1 unless I had at least five disks.

James

Archived