I need a case

haddock

Hi, I am relativley new to astronomy, i purchased a skywatcher explorer 150p in January 2011, had some sucsess using it in our garden in Wolverhampton, but i want to be able to take my telescope on holidays. I have been trying to find a case for the scope so it can be safely packed in the caravan. Can anybody make sugestions on where I could find a suitable case.:smiley:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We use a aluminium box from Maplins for the mount, a smaller one for the eyepieces and likewise for the wires etc. Our scope travels on the bed in our motorhome against the partition, well supported by pillows etc.

Hi Haddock and welcome to SGL :smiley:

When I had a 150P I used to roll it in a chunky blanket and carry it in the boot of the car or on the back seat. You could do that and put it under a caravan seat with the bedding for a soft ride. :)

Thanksfor all the advice, I can see I am going to have to make more use of this forum, as a newcommer to astonomy it is good to know that there are so many people out there so willing to help. it restores my faith in human nature especialy when you look at everything else going on in the world.

Once again thankyou.

Hi Haddock and welcome to SGL.

I use a plastic box from B&Q, wrap the scope tube up in bubble wrap and sit it in the box. It's possible to get loads of other bits in as well. If it's going in the caravan I have an area at the back that I can bungee cord things down but you could secure it anywhere. The important thing is that it doesn't slide and bang around when travelling which will knock the scope internals out of alignment (requiring collimation) and damage caravan interior panels.

Archived