Skywatcher 200p and 150p Dobsonian

Hi fellow astronomers,

Can one of you kind gentlemen or women please write a report on the Skywatcher 200p (mainly) and the 150p to bribe my Mum to allow me to purchase one with money I have saved!

Many Thanks and sorry if I am rude,

i have a skywatcher 200p on a eq5 mount with synscan controller and can tell you its an amazing telescope,so easy to use,nice and bright looking through it(eyepiece depending),quite portable as its not that heavy and plus it gathers 77% more light than the 150mm scope so for my money it would always be the 200p.

Dear Mrs George,

The 200p is a very good scope, I have one myself and my son uses it. It is a telescope that can give a lifetime's worth of observation, it is robust , and your son will learn a lot from it; not just the night sky, but the telescope's workings and the science/engineering behind it. (focal length, etc.) He will have to learn to collimate the telescope (align the mirrors).

The only things he will have to upgrade on eventually, are the eyepieces, which he can save for. A good quality eyepeice can cost as little as a Wii game.

Please don't suggest any of the ones you see in Argos, or Currys. They are rubbish.

I have the 150P and it is a lovely scope that I now use for astrophotography. The 200P version would be a better choice for a first scope because you get the extra light gathering ability of the larger mirror without too much increase in size, weight or portability. These scopes are easy to use and the 200P version will give very nice views of very many deep sky objects, galaxies, nebulae and such, and with suitable eyepieces, will also give nice bright high resolution views of the moon and planets.

If any telescope could be said to be a good 'all-rounder' it would be an 8" f/6 Newtonian.

Dear George's mum,

The 200P is am excellent scope and superb value for money. Out of all the scopes one can buy, this is probably the single most sensible option and with care can provide many years of good service.

It will show you the clouds on Jupiter, Saturn's rings and even split them into their two coloured parts, all their moons and when pointed out of our solar system, it will show (as grey smudges of varying complexity and brightness) all sorts of interesting objects like nebulae and even other galaxies.

As already mentioned, the 'next' thing would be to get some better quality eyepieces which second hand cost about as much as a second hand video game.

There are also astronomy clubs that you son could join which may help his understanding of the hobby.

I have a lovely four year old boy and for his first telescope, I bought him a yellow National Geographic one from Sainsbury's for £2.50 (usually £15). It is honestly rubbish, but it gives him something "like daddy's" to play with. Almost all of the scopes you will find on the high street are either completely rubbish and won't perform as advertised or vastly overpriced.

I hope that this helps :-)

All the best,

Mike

---

- Sent from my mobile using TapaTalk (so please excuse bad grammar & spelling!) :-)

Another thumbs up for the 200P, I have owned my scope since January this year, while the stock eye pieces are a bit rubbish, I have still managed to see some wonderfull sights. The scope is perfect for a newbie, not too big or heavy, but big enough to see some good stuff. Perfect beginners scope, easy to operate, easy (ish) to modify (if you feel the need to) and if you go for the Dob base, cheap to buy. Love mine!

Dear Georges Mum,

Just look at all these great reasons above to let your son get his much wanted telescope..:D

There are quite a lot of members here and we don't want to have to start an e-petition now do we..:)

Go ahead - from me not my Mum :(

Archived